Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Hero Hero


Something just about everyone had in common as children were heroes - which were in most cases, and unbeknownst to them - role models. And isn't it a funny thing how once we become fully- or partially-functioning adults in the real world, we forget about "heroes" or role models. Not long ago, I recalled how my role models were few but provided powerful influence on me as I was growing up.

I don't know if Superman and Batman would count as role models to little kids.... but maybe they do. I mean, as a youngster I used to run around in a Batman cape, emulating the 60's TV version of the character. But was that a true role-model? Maybe, if you consider that Batman and his alter ego Bruce Wayne displayed compassion, conviction, and valour. And I seemed to have picked up and carried those same virtues with me the rest of my life. I may not be leaping across rooftops saving the city from villains, but my belief system seems pretty well aligned with that of Batman. 

And Superman represents honestly, patriotism and chivalry... not to mention "truth, justice, and the American way". I guess I feel strongly to varying degrees about each of those virtues, though since I'm Canadian, I would substitute my nation's way for the American one. The goodness in Superman appealed to me a lot when I was young, and despite the weak films of the superhero in recent years, I am still drawn to that sort of ideal. And now that I give it a little thought, I'd have to admit that I'm a bit of an idealist. 

So these fictional role-models played a role in my early development of a sense right and wrong, as well as who I would be, both then and in the future. I suppose when I hit about age twelve or so, when I avidly poured over the Sherlock Holmes stories, I became more and more aware that I was at least a little different from my peers, and that my attention to details became a very real part of who I was. Then, and now for that matter, I'd rather view the world -  it's fascinating minutia - under a magnifying glass than look at the dreary big picture. 

In my early teens, I found some "heroes" after whom I tried very deliberately to model myself. Even if I didn't achieve full results, at least I stamped some indelible new traits into my rapidly developing personality. Traits in others that attracted me were strength, toughness, fairness, conviction, integrity, and cleverness. My biggest role models were: the rock band Rush, Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sly Stallone's "Rocky" movie character, and Muhammad Ali. 

Rush, if it isn't already obvious from my many posts about them, was a constant for most of my life. The band's philosophy drew me into their world just as much as their music. Their lyrics, which were thoughtful, intelligent, and creative, spoke to me. Rush influenced and inspired me not just in music (for I never aspired to be any more than a casual half-decent rhythm guitarist) but in all areas of my life. They helped me understand myself better and to pursue my goals. Rush has always been known as a hard-working band with integrity, both qualities that I admired. 



In my early teens, feeling very self-conscious and unsure of myself, I found a role model in Stallone's movie character Rocky Balboa. The film Rocky totally blew me away and put me on a path that I never conceived would be so enduring. The title song inspired me so much that I bought it on record (this was in '76 of course) and that became the soundtrack to my workouts, which included calisthenics and I even followed Rocky's lead in jogging through the cold weather, bundled up in layers of sweatsuits... the style at the time. Though boxing wasn't a dream of mine, becoming fit and healthy was important to me, and Rocky showed me how both mental and physical toughness could get me there. And I got a shot of self-confidence from all of this along the way.

Then along came this massive bodybuilder named Arnold Schwarzenegger, who I first saw on a televised competition, probably Mr. Olympia, which he won four years running in the 70's. I'm sure Arnold prompted guys the world over to heft weights for huge pectoral muscles, but in my case, since my body type simply didn't respond much to lifting, I at least developed a healthy attitude toward life-long fitness. I got myself a set of weights for the basement and I lifted on a regular basis for much of my life (at first following Arnie's early book Education of a Bodybuilder, shown below), nowadays infrequently, but I still exercise in other ways.... like long-distance running and calisthenics. So even if Arnold is now pumping out awful movies, I still credit him with motivating me to become active and fit.

Bruce Lee was the whole package: philosophy, intelligence, honour, integrity, and amazingly fit and skilled in martial arts. I wanted so badly to study kung fu... or any martial art.... but that just wasn't going to happen during my youth. Not until I was an adult with my own money to pursue it. Even then, I couldn't pursue it for very long. Still, the interest is there and I occasionally drift back into a bit of Tai Chi (a close cousin to Kung Fu, which I also studied) at home. Now I just appreciate good martial arts films, my favourites being the Ip Man movies starring Donnie Yen. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than that. Though I can enjoy the campy aspects of Bruce Lee's movies, the fight scenes alone don't easily make up for the silliness. But kung fu legend Lee did make a big impression on me as a young man. And I mustn't forget David Carradine in his role on the TV show Kung Fu... that program acted as an extension to Lee's influence, but here adding in the "soft" aspects of the martial art as well as modesty and humbleness. 

Muhammad Ali was also inspirational to me, not so much with his fists but his words and character. Ali blasted his way onto my TV screen during Wide World of Sports broadcasts back in the 70's, leaving me reeling from his barrage of stream-of-consciousness wisdom poetry. And his magnificent skill and flair in the ring certainly made him stand out among the crowd. Ali impressed me with his fearlessness, colourful personality, charisma, and definitely how he affected change in the world through his personal values, which were religious freedom, racial justice, and the triumph of principle over expedience. It's hard not to look up to such a man.

Humour has always been a part of me, though that was less forced, and more subtly embedded in my being. From an early age, I loved and emulated comedy stars like Abbott and Costello and especially Jerry Lewis. Maturing a bit (just a bit) in my teens, it was more imaginative and clever comics like the Monty Python troupe, Bill Cosby, Steve Martin, Robin Williams. and George Carlin. I've never even dreamed of being a stand-up comic, but I do admire the craft of these people, and how they stretch their imaginations as they analyze the mundane and the awful things in life in order to make us laugh. And sometimes even prompt us to think more deeply about this crazy world of ours, to help us put things into perspective.

But as I said earlier, isn't it odd how as adults we often forget about the idea of role models? Do we still need them later in life? Those who inspired and influenced us in our childhood and our youth made their mark, but if we lose sight of those positive principles along the way, might it be necessary to look up to someone like Batman or Rocky again?


No comments:

Post a Comment