Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bookish Bond

There are more books about the world of James Bond than any one person could ever find and obtain. There are the novels and short stories, books about the novels, books about Ian Fleming (creator of Bond), books about the Bond films and their music and their movie posters, books about the actors and the film-makers... the list goes on and on. 

I used to scour the bookstores in search of unusual titles, and though I don't do that on a regular basis anymore, I am always more than willing to snap up a neat find should I see one in my travels. I have a decent little collection, and I would like to see it grow... not just for the sake of owning things, but because there are so many fascinating stories behind Bond and his creators. I say "creators" in the plural because there first was Ian Fleming who invented the character, and then there were the many movie directors and actors and writers who often re-invented Bond for the silver screen. We've seen more than a few interpretations of 007.

A few of the weird little nuggets I've found over the years were about the Fleming novels and about Bond in general, including the films:


I haven't even read these yet, but they'll keep the shelf
warm until I retire and have all the time in the world for them

My two shelves dedicated to Bond books and videos are crying out for some help. Time for another shelf? Naturally, I have all of the Ian Fleming novels and short stories, most of them in multiple editions with different cover art. Then there are the spin-off novels by noted authors that came after dear old Ian passed away. Those books varied in quality, but I made a point of acquiring at least the better ones, ones that were recommended as worth a try. Kingsley Amis wrote the first continuation novel Colonel Sun, released in 1968. Pretty good, but still not Fleming. 

The 80's and early 90's saw John Gardner take up the assignment to carry on the Bond literary series. Gardner did a respectable job, often quite good, mimicking enough of Fleming's "voice" on the page to convince the fans. A slightly more modern 007, but retaining the "feel" of Fleming's era. Of all the post-Fleming Bond authors, I admire Gardner's work most. He knocked out sixteen books before retiring from the Bond gig. 

Raymond Benson took the job in '96, proceeding to deliver a handful of Bond novels, short stories, and film novelizations. Some were rather good. Something about his style reminded me a lot of the Timothy Dalton Bond movies of the 80's. Each author had a way of eliciting a mental image of a different film Bond. Gardner made me think of Roger Moore, perhaps because his tenure began during Moore's run as 007. 


Some early editions of Fleming and one by Mr. Amis

After Benson lit out, a few writers took turns at the typewriter, each turning in just one book apiece. I don't know if that was due to a lack of success by each author, but the fact is that none of those stories quite rivaled the best of Benson or Gardner. Devil May Care, by Sebastian Faulks, was perhaps the best of them... for me, mainly because I pictured Sean Connery as I tore through that book. Definitely a 60's vibe. The next entry, Carte Blanche by Jeffery Deaver, was a bit of a disappointment, especially since I was a Deaver crime fiction fan to begin with. But he failed to bring Bond to life in an exciting tale. 

The latest, Solo by William Boyd, was a bit better, but I am wondering where all this is going. An author will eventually need to settle into the job and develop a sense of the character and spin stories that will thrill us... at least a bit. But these one-offs are creating a sort of disjointed Bond universe, lacking a consistent flavour as the series goes on.

It's been years since I've read the Fleming novels, but I'm feeling the itch to revisit at least a few of my favourites, such as On Her Majesty's Secret Service and From Russia With Love. And maybe even one or two of the Gardner books. 

The gun is mightier than the sword, he said knowingly

No comments:

Post a Comment