Monday, August 4, 2014

Drive-In Double-Feature

Were there steamy car windows during
The Ten Commandments?

Remember the drive-in? Just about every town had one by the late 1950's and early 60's, when the drive-in peaked in popularity. Big pictures played as the main feature... the early one, I guess you'd say, then often the weirder, more adult-oriented stuff came on for the late feature. The kids were usually asleep in the backseat of the car by this time. Then there were the wacky B-movie nights, when lurid horror and science fiction flicks entertained the teen crowd. By the way, this was all before my time. 

A tiny history lesson: The drive-in blossomed out of some backyard tests in Camden, New Jersey by one Richard Hollingshead Jr. in the early 1930's, and by '32, he had patented his invention. Hollingshead opened the very first drive-in in June of 1933. His screen operated for only three years, but the idea began to spread across America. I believe the drive-in was considered an American institution by the time the 60's rolled around. Or at least it should have been. 

My first outdoor, giant-screen experience was in 1977, when at the age of 13, I joined some school friends on an outing. My buddy Eddie's mom took us to see The Deep, an adventure movie based on the book by Peter Benchley (author of earlier massive hit Jaws).. She drove the carload of us to a spot, then she left us to our own devices and joined her husband in another car. I have no recollection of what else played that night, what the cartoon shorts were, or what snacks I ate. I just remember being fascinated by Jacqueline Bisset's curves. Ah, those early days of adolescence.

I think it was with the same gang of friends that I saw Jaws 2 at that same drive-in in '78. We all just horsed around this time, throwing popcorn and spilling soft drinks,not really paying much attention to the movie. This picture didn't seem nearly as thrilling as the first Jaws movie (which I saw in its first round in a proper theatre). 

Then there was a chilly late fall evening viewing of Alien in '79. I am pretty sure that was our second time watching Alien, the first time being in the cozy confines of a movie theatre. I am pretty sure I saw Excalibur and Porky's within the next few years, again viewed with my high school peeps. And I think there were some beers involved during Porky's. If not, then there should have been. Good times.... I think.

I'm not positive, but I think I saw the James Bond movie Octopussy at the drive-in in '83. After that I went nowhere near a drive-in for years, until I re-located to a new city where I went to see Ghost with my girlfriend. I never knew pottery could be so sad! I don't think I saw more than one or two more flicks at the drive-in since then, but it was a bit depressing when I heard our multi-screen facility had shut down. 

The decline of drive-ins began in the 70's and really went south during the 80's, with the advent of home video... not to mention skyrocketing land values, which made it nearly impossible for drive-ins to survive. And here in Canada, the outdoor venues only operated spring through fall, shutting down for the cold winter months. We all nested in our igloos until the snow melted. 

Apparently, some drive-ins still exist, but in much smaller numbers than in decades past. Though the big outdoor screens don't hold much fascination for me nowadays, they certainly played a role in my youth and early adulthood. Some fun nostalgia springs up when I think about those days. Maybe someday we'll bring 'em back.


Fascinating marine life in these parts....

No comments:

Post a Comment