Saturday, July 27, 2019

The Director's Chair - Part II - Denis Villeneuve

It's time I got back to talking a bit about some notable movie directors whose work I admire. One of my favourites is Denis Villeneuve, who despite small beginnings in the province of Quebec in Canada, has become exceptional at his craft.  He is one of the few modern directors who really knocks my socks off with his unique style.

Villeneuve has been meticulous and careful in choosing his projects, only knocking out nine feature films in twenty years. But wow... what knock-outs! I haven't seen all of his films, having viewed five of his nine pictures, though I've watched most of those at least a second time. Depth of story and fascinating characters make these very easy to re-enjoy, with plenty of details and layers to discover on repeat viewings. And he doesn't skimp on visual flair or in the music department... often moody and tense tales are heightened by every aspect of his directorial skills.

Emily Blunt is an FBI agent on the hunt in Sicario

The Villeneuve movies I've seen are: Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival, and Blade Runner 2049, all released between 2013 and 2017. These are his best known films, backed by big studios that provided wider distribution than his earlier work. I'd like to eventually check out those remaining movies, and Incendies will likely be the next one up, since it's on Netflix right now. 

The director's first four films were smaller-scale productions, and all were French Canadian. But I believe that as Villeneuve's reputation grows and grows (he's already a "name" director in the industry), interest in those fledgling pictures will increase. 

Prisoners, first screened in 2013, is a gripping thriller that examines the lengths a parent will go to when his child is abducted. Starring heavyweights Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, the movie was a success in every respect, including nailing a spot on the National Board of Review's "Best of 2013" list and also earning an Oscar nomination. Even on my second viewing, half-remembering the plot, I was captivated.

Enemy hit cinemas in spring of 2014, and though I didn't get to it until it was available online, I was floored. The eerie atmosphere and bizarre storyline were right up my alley. A man (played by Jake Gyllenhall) sees his identical twin acting in a movie, and, obsessed with this fact, he locates the doppelgรคnger and meets him. Things quickly spiral out of control and... well, you really should just see Enemy to understand - it's quite the experience.


Amy Adams is a linguist trying to talk to the animals... er, aliens in Arrival

In 2015, the major hit Sicario secured Villeneuve's place among his industry peers. I loved this crime thriller, its many riveting scenes so memorable and unusual. Emily Blunt stars as an FBI agent, supported by her very able cast-mates Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin. Blunt is charged with taking down the leader of a powerful and ruthless Mexican drug cartel. It's a superb nail-biter of a film, earning itself a load of praise and both Oscar and BAFTA nominations in several categories. 

Arrival, released in 2016, was a sci-fi triumph. Subdued and intelligent, the movie gave us a modern-day look at how we puny humans might address a third-kind encounter with alien life. After seeing Arrival, I tracked down the original short story it was based on... and I have to say that Villeneuve and company improved dramatically on the source material. Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner lead the small cast in this fascinating tale of the unknown. Adams is exceptional as a linguist enlisted by the U.S. Army to discover how to communicate with otherworldly visitors before tensions lead to war. Nothing hackneyed about this "bug-eyed monster" movie... everything here is fresh and intriguing. Love it.

Blade Runner 2049 was the long-overdue (well, unexpected, really) sequel to the original Blade Runner of 1982. This slick 2017 neo-noir sci-fi picture actually held my interest more than the original, which I've always respected but never really loved the way everyone else did. This second instalment grabbed a bunch of Oscar and British Film Award nominations for its dark futuristic vision. Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford (he's baa-aack) head up the impressive cast as they investigate a secret threat to society and even civilization. I need to give this another look; my one viewing was late-night and sleepy, so though I enjoyed what I saw of it between nods, I feel I ought to see it properly, start to finish.

I really like Villeneuve's visual style and manner of storytelling. His approach to direction is unlike that of others in the field. There is a quiet economy to the man's technique and final product. And I must admit I'm excited for his upcoming film, Dune. The 1984 version of Dune never impressed me much, though it's been decades since I've seen it... so who knows, maybe I'd appreciate it more now. Not long ago, I re-read the novel Dune (did it once before back in the 80's), upon which these movies were based, and enjoyed it far more than I expected. So I'm interested in seeing what this director, currently at the top of his game, can do with this science-fiction literary classic. I don't see how it could be any worse than the '84 interpretation. I believe that between Villeneuve's expertise and the state of film special effects technology, this will be amazing. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment