Friday, August 18, 2017

Metal, Rock & Dance Excursions Playlist

I've been sort of scattered all over the place with my music listening lately. Mostly rock music, some heavy, some not so much. If you frown upon the lighter stuff, like pop or dance, then please forgive my affinity for that stuff. I've had a pretty open mind ever since I bought my first records back in the 70's. I had vinyl by Black Sabbath and BeeGees in my collection back then.... and on CD today. 

There's a nice mix of the old and the new-ish on today's playlist: some Metal Church, Danzig and Megadeth from the 80's... and on to more recent The Oath, Alien Weaponry, and the latest Katy Perry. Plus a bunch of stuff in between. I've been revisiting old favourites like Max Webster, Ratt, and Def Leppard, but also discovering for the first time some great oldies like A Taste of Honey. Honestly, I don't know what my neighbours think is going on when they hear the likes of Voivod followed by Kylie Minogue vibrating from my stereo speakers. Hey, if I think it's good, then I'll play it. I can't say I hate any entire genre of music... there's even a handful of rap and country tunes that I really like. I like to think I can recognize a talented artist who performs in a style I'm not accustomed to. I can easily latch onto a band or artist if I hear something special in their songs, regardless of the sort of music they sing or play.

You've really got to dismiss conventions of rock as you fire up tracks like Danzig's Godless and Alien Weaponry's Rū Ana Te Whenua. Danzig took his devil worship shtick to a dark and inventive extreme here while Alien Weaponry put a new spin on metal with their native Maori lyrics and unique rhythms. And the downbeat approach on Shirley Manson's The Hunger is as darkly hypnotic as her work with Garbage. 





Tracklist:


Metal Church - by Metal Church

All Must Die - by The Oath
Rū Ana Te Whenua - by Alien Weaponry
Godless - by Danzig
Devil's Island - Megadeth
Night Flights - Max Webster
As Heaven Is Wide - Garbage 
Tribal Convictions - Voivod 
Let It Go - Def Leppard 
Lay It Down - Ratt
The Hunger - Shirley Manson
Bon Appetit - Katy Perry 
Boogie Oogie Oogie - A Taste of Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment