Saturday, August 26, 2017

Late Great King of Comedy - Jerry Lewis

Early this week we lost a comedy legend. As a young kid, I discovered Jerry Lewis movies on television and became a big fan. I enjoyed his work from the 1950's with Dean Martin, which made history, of course... one of the biggest comedy duos of all time. But I think it was Lewis' solo films, mainly his early ones, that made the biggest impression on my young and malleable mind. The Nutty Professor remains the most famous of his films, though I feel he's got some underappreciated gems elsewhere. Stuff like The Delicate Delinquent, The Bellboy, and The Patsy. Even The Ladies Man and The Errand Boy have their moments, despite the fact that some of these seem to have lost their laugh factor over time. But maybe that's just me growing up... and older, and not any issue with the movies themselves.


When I watch Jerry Lewis movies, I see the origins of the style of comedy that became Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Jim Varney (as Ernest) and maybe even, in a small way, PeeWee Herman. Oh, and most importantly... the nerdy and inept Professor Frink on TV's The Simpsons; voice actor Hank Azaria actually imitated Lewis' character from The Nutty Professor for the role. Jerry's combination of physical comedy, rubbery facial extremes, and histrionic vocalizations set the gold standard. His influence in the field of comedy is obvious, and will be felt forever. "Nice laaadeeee..."

Lewis' career spanned radio, stage, film, and television. An ambitious and talented man, he was far more than an actor; he was also a producer, director, screenwriter, and singer. When I was a kid, I found my mom's old copy of a "Jerry Lewis Sings" record and played that constantly... until I discovered The Monkees and Beatles... then Kiss, Rush, Sabbath, and so on. A logical progression, right? 

As a humanitarian, Lewis was unsurpassed. He founded - and hosted - the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) Telethon on TV from 1966 through 2010. Lewis raised billions of dollars during the lengthy run of this Labor Day staple. So not a bad guy, huh? 

Farewell, old friend....

No comments:

Post a Comment