Saturday, October 16, 2021

Horror Movies So Far This October

Though my horror movie To Watch List was a bit unrefined as I started October, I haven't had much trouble finding something appropriate to watch whenever the opportunity arose. Between a decent handful of new additions to Netflix, plus a few on Youtube, and some more from my unwatched batch of DVDs and Blu-rays, I've fared just fine. Here are the scary (or at least atmospheric) flicks I've seen so far this month:

30 Days of Night - a very unique, cool and atmospheric vampire film set in Alaska during a full month without sunlight. Yes, that's bad news for the living human folk in little ol' Barrow. The vamps here are feral beasts!

Strange Invaders - an 80's shlock-fest, with weird rubber alien monsters and lots of bad acting. Watch at your own risk. You've been warned...

The Fog has that timeless 80's charm that makes this the horror classic that it is

The Fog - 2005 remake of the John Carpenter 80's classic... by Carpenter himself. Other than the obvious modernization, it follows the original fairly closely. Not bad, not great.

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death - a pleasant surprise, this kind of lives up to the first one (the remake starring Harry Potter), though is still far from the excellence of the 80's original - one of the best ghost stories put to film.

The Fog - director Carpenter's 1980 ghostly gem still holds up today, with an all-star cast and it checks all the boxes on the horror movie Must Have List. Just do it.

Werewolves Within - an odd horror-comedy that didn't quite work for me. It's okay, starting off pretty well but veers off track and kinda loses me by the end. Not enough good werewolf stuff to fully satisfy.

The Wretched - sort of a spin on the Rear Window mystery classic, though this gets a bit more horrific. Serious suspense and some crazy creature effects help this along nicely.

Bay of Blood - finally! I finally saw this highly-regarded Italian film but... I wasn't impressed. Though I love a couple of director Bava's 60's horror classics, this early 70's proto-slasher just doesn't do it for me. It's more of a thriller with some violence and gore. It's okay, but it just didn't engage me, and gawd, what a crappy ending!

The Block Island Sound - a shoe-string budget didn't hamper this highly atmospheric tale of supernatural goings-on at an island fishing village. Keep an open mind and don't expect a bloody monster mash, and you just might love this. I sure did!


And...

This isn't a movie, but it's worth mentioning Midnight Mass, a limited series on Netflix which I'm sort of half-heartedly jumping in and out of between movies. There are things I really like about it, but the pacing is uneven, or maybe just slow as hell most of the time. Not a bad thing normally, but when I become impatient for something that seems relevant to the story, I consider giving up. However, there are truly creepy horror moments. Hang in there...

No comments:

Post a Comment