Saturday, January 23, 2021

Pick-Me-Up / Comfort Food Albums

This week, I watched a Youtuber's video discussing his comfort food albums. Albums that are a go-to when feeling low. Albums that are a guaranteed pick-me-up. I have a bunch of those, too. Stuff I immediately click on when I get home from a rough day at work or elsewhere, and it puts me in a much better mood. We all need something to pick up our spirits now and then, to brighten our day and help us put aside the worrying, bad moods, and downer thoughts that hijack our minds sometimes.

The two "comfort food" albums that have been at the ready in my CD player for the past few months are Disco, by Kylie Minogue, and Smile, by Katy Perry. Both are light, fun, and energetic. Disco was a welcome "comeback" (the way I see it, anyway - Kylie's previous studio album didn't do much for me) with its 70's dance club sounds paired with her modern take on the genre. Smile stuck close to Perry's bubblegum pop style, bouncy and effervescent, though even her slower numbers (not quite ballads) inspire a smile. Both albums were released late 2020, and were just in time to dispel some of the blues that came with these weird coronavirus lockdown times. This feel-good music has been important in getting me through some pretty blah days.

Since we just wrapped up the holiday season, it's worth mentioning the one Christmas album that I could play any month of the year: A Charlie Brown Christmas. The playful, nostalgic tunes, both original and traditional, warm the heart. Some are light jazz, others a bit classically-oriented, but it's all pure gold by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. And I can't help but picture scenes from the famous TV cartoon that this soundtrack accompanied. Been watching that each year since I was a wee lad. Sigh.

Speaking of jazz, there's my absolute favourite jazz album of all time, The Dave Brubeck Quartet's 1959 classic Time Out. Whether you think you think you've heard any of this or not... you have, trust me. The sometimes deceptively simple songs are actually intricate, yet are so melodic and ear-friendly that there's no hating them. I've been a fan ever since I first heard Time Out back in the late 80's. The music works on more than one level: the discerning ear can appreciate the challenging time signatures and top-notch musicianship, while the average listener can simply enjoy the hummable tunes for what they are... timeless jazz with pop sensibility.

Then there's the rock-pop gem from 1979, Breakfast in America, by none other than the legendary Supertramp. I re-bought this album on vinyl LP just a little over a year ago, and have rediscovered just how ingenious the songwriting is on the entire record. Every single song is radio friendly, an instant classic, and you've just gotta sing or hum along with each one. From Gone Hollywood to Child of Vision, and every Top 10 hit in between, it's packed with bright, fun, and mostly happy tunes. As I listen to Breakfast, I am transported back to my youth, listening to my newly-released copy of the album. It sounds as fresh today as it did back then.

Along the same lines, Tom Petty's 1989 release, Full Moon Fever, is jam-packed with radio hits that to this day take me back to my younger days. Again, this is all sing-a-long material, and it's kind of a miracle that albums like this are created. So perfect from start to finish, full of unforgettable lyrics and musical hooks. And it all makes me feel like life is just beginning again. Optimistic and sunny in one way or another... whether musically or lyrically, or both.

How about Abbey Road by that band from Liverpool, the... uh, Beatles? Though it's been a long time since I've played this one, it used to be in frequent rotation for its highly listenable set of rock classics. From rockers to ballads and mid-tempo romps, Abbey Road is about as perfect as it gets. A bit of everything, and the "suite" or medley of short tracks on side two are the crowning achievement. So whether I grin maniacally to Maxwell's Silver Hammer or drop a wistful smile at Because and Golden Slumbers, it's all a sweet trip back in time. I've listened to the Beatles since almost the very start of my musical interest as a kid, so Abbey Road takes me way, way back. And that's worth smiling about.

No comments:

Post a Comment