Sunday, January 31, 2021

My Favourite Music of the 60's

Since I was born in the 60's, I didn't exactly grow up with that era's music as it happened. It wasn't until the early to mid-70's that I became aware of music as a thing to appreciate as more than wallpaper. My earliest memories of enjoying music, all on TV shows, are of The Partridge Family, The Osmonds, The Jacksons, and Sonny and Cher. Stuff like that. But those were 70's artists (mostly).

Listening to Jefferson Airplane's classic Surrealistic Pillow as I write this,
I'm thinking it's about time I really gave these guys (and gal) a real chance

But once I stumbled upon The Monkees TV show in reruns, I was hooked. Every day after school, I raced home to catch the antics of that clown-ish pop band on the tube. My very first two record purchases, with my own piggy bank money, were a Monkees single and an album (More of the Monkees). Then I saw the Beatles' movies on TV. More records, then tapes, and later on, CDs.  I had caught the bug. Revolver and Rubber Soul rank at the top for me. At the time, I didn't really think about the fact that they were both 60's bands. The Monkees did, of course, carry on past the 60's, but the core of their best music was a product of those times.

During the later 70's, then 80's and beyond, I discovered much more 60's music to enjoy. I didn't love everything I heard, but I gave it all a chance. And it took me a bit longer to develop a true appreciation for some of it. While the Monkees and Beatles were instant faves, stuff like The Doors and Cream required more time and patience - but it was worth it. Strange Days and Disraeli Gears are right up there. And I know I need to give Jefferson Airplane more consideration.

Bands like CCR, Steppenwolf, The Who, The Guess Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Led Zeppelin got their start in the 60's (as did David Bowie), and it was pretty easy to enjoy all their music. CCR and Steppenwolf didn't last long into the 70's, but those other artists flourished as the decade played out.

Much more recently, I discovered that I really like the music of folk legend Gordon Lightfoot. I have a few of his 60's albums, and all of them impress.

Others, like the Rolling Stones never really made an impression on me. Sure, I like a bunch of their tunes, but never enough to ever buy an album, not even a greatest hits. But maybe someday, if the song selection is just right. Hendrix took a lot of work to get into; I bought a compilation or two back in the early 80's, but it never really stuck. I now have a solid compilation CD and his Live At Winterland. I can appreciate the contribution Jimi made to the world of guitar, but rarely revisit these albums. Just not my cup of tea.

There are plenty of Beach Boys songs I really like, but I rarely find myself in the mood for them. So I've got Pet Sounds, their most highly regarded, plus a decent compilation album. Dusty.

Then there are the Kinks, Yardbirds, Animals, the Zombies, and others of that sort of near-top tier bunch of artists. A handful of neat tunes, but that was the extent of it for me. Not worth the shelf space. 

Dylan, forget it. I tried. I've heard his music here and there over the years, but his voice turned me off. I do respect his songwriting, though, since other artists have turned out fantastic renditions of his work. Like Hendrix and The Byrds, just to name a couple. Then there's Janis Joplin: nope. I know there are loads of fans out there, but I'm just not one of them. Her voice really rubbed me the wrong way.

It must sound like I'm rather iffy about a lot of 60's music. The thing is that when I watch a movie set in the 60's, I hear a lot of great songs I like. So the big hits can appeal to me, but digging deeper than that may not be necessary. I could really dig a compilation album with the likes of Lovin' Spoonful and The Mamas and the Papas on it. Groovy, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment