Saturday, September 26, 2020

Random Music Discoveries

Today's a mixed bag. No big topic, just a smattering of updates on what I've been doing musically lately. 

A couple of weeks ago I finished up the new book by Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine, Rust In Peace: The Inside Story of the Masterpiece. When I very recently heard of the book's release, I knew I just had to read it. After all, Rust In Peace is one of my favourite albums of all time, a thrash classic that still resonates within the metal community, both in the industry and with the fans. Megadeth's progressive thrash style always appealed to me, but even moreso after that 1990 album dropped. A total mind-melter. The book is a vast series of interview bytes, quoting the musicians, their friends, family, and music business associates. So it's a breezy read, quite revealing and candid. Cool.

Around that same time, my CD copy of Katy Perry's new album Smile arrived in my mailbox. I had already previewed all the songs online, so I knew this was a sure thing. I have an unusual take on this album: overall, I think Smile is the most consistently good recording Perry has released. Even on Teenage Dream and Prism, discs I really like, there is at least one track I hate or don't care much for. But on Smile, not a single bad song, nothing I'd ever want to skip over. Lots of light, fun tunes. Yet the enjoyment factor is so even from track to track, it's really tough to name a favourite, at least right now. Maybe over time. So there don't seem to be songs that really jump out as super strong "hits", at least to me. If you're a Katy fan, you can't go wrong with Smile.

I motored through the Cobra Kai karate-action show on Netflix not long ago. And what a blast from the past, especially in the music department. Some great 80's tunes in the soundtrack, including Ratt's Lay It Down, which kicked off one episode, and really set the stage for the show. It was also cool and funny to see the Cobra teacher Johnny wearing his vintage band t-shirts, especially that Zebra one. Now I had only ever heard of Zebra, reading a tiny bit about them in music magazines in the 80's, but my area's rock radio station never ever played songs by Zebra. So I never had a clue about them. So... I looked 'em up on Youtube and checked out a handful of their songs (not much on there). Well, what a pleasant surprise! I wish I'd gotten into Zebra back in the the day because their music is a blend of some of my all-time favourite bands, Yes and Rush, with a hint of Triumph (and maybe Zeppelin) in there. Excellent hard rock - sometimes progressive, so I am now awaiting their first album on mail order. Can't wait to give that some heavy listening. Headphone listening.

In the listening room, I've been digging through both records and CDs for something to take my mind off the COVID-19 situation. When I wanted a kick in the pants, I put on Voivod's last record (on vinyl), The Wake. Quebecois prog-thrash-metal that did the job. And then I re-discovered my long-neglected jazz CDs by Diana Krall, starting with All For You, the Nat King Cole Trio tribute that kicked off my love of her music. Perfect low-key, classy stuff for winding down in the late evening.

I've had some ABBA melodies stuck in my head lately, so I think I'll put on either one or both of their 70's greatest hits records (got both) this weekend. "Can you hear the drums, Fernando?"

No comments:

Post a Comment