Saturday, May 30, 2020

Top 10 Non-Fiction Books

Today, I'd like to present a list of my favourite non-fiction books. This took a bit of thinking - and digging through shelves - in order to arrive at a full ten books. At first I thought I was stumped after just five or six, but as I located hidden gems (I've got them stored two books deep on some shelves), the ideas began to flow again.

My only rule here is NO reference books. And I do have some of those that I love and go to very often. But they don't read as stories by any stretch of the imagination; they serve more as encyclopedias or detailed lists of subject matter. Things like my beloved old copy of Videohound's Golden Movie Retriever (from 2005 - I haven't bothered upgrading the paper copy with all that's on the internet these days), Creature Features: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror Movie Guide, the Star Trek Concordance (from 1976, by Bjo Trimble), and the Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies Complete Guide to the Warner Bros. Cartoons. All amazing volumes on their respective specific fields of interest, but they break my one rule for this list.

My list is not in any particular order. These books are like apples and oranges to me; how can I possibly compare them and rank them? Well, I guess I could, but it wouldn't mean much. I'd only want to change the order the next day, next week, and so on. Here we go...


My Top 10 Non-Fiction Books: 

A Pictorial History of Horror Movies, by Denis Gifford - the very first horror movie book I ever bought. I was likely no older than ten years old. Excellent written and photographic examination of the growth of the horror genre in cinema. When I think of certain films, images from this book come to mind. To this day, it's still a go-to for ghoulish knowledge. Yes, it's that good... and fun.


Bossy Pants, by Tina Fey - This hilarious memoir of sorts, written by the SNL alumnus and creator of the award-winning 30 Rock TV show, is so in line with my sense of humour that I've re-read it several times, even just a few pages or a chapter here and there to kill a few minutes. It kills me every time.

Quiet, by Susan Cain - A book all about me! Author Cain extensively researched and here lays out all the facts about introverted people, and how they need to operate in this world of extrovert expectations in order to feel safe, happy, and fulfilled. Between the data and the more people-oriented studies and advice, Quiet serves to assure, calm, and guide the anxious, more reserved people in the world. And maybe even help them prosper.

Grumpy Old Rock Star, by Rick Wakeman - I had tears of laughter in my eyes many times while poring through this one-of-a-kind autobiography. For the uninformed, Wakeman was and still is the brilliant keyboard wizard of the progressive rock band Yes. The band has existed both with and without Wakeman, off and on, since the late 1960's. The completely wacky and unbelievable true stories of his life, both in and out of music, are among the funniest stuff I've ever read. Master musician and primo humourist. And I've got an authographed copy!

On Writing, Stephen King - A highly entertaining and educational memoir-ish book by the master of horror fiction. King imparts valuable knowledge and tips on writing based on his own experiences - both in putting word to paper and simply living life. As an occasional dabbler in knocking out a short story, I found On Writing invaluable and inspiring. And loads of fun.

That's All, Folks!, by Steve Schneider - A colourfully written history of the classic Warner Bros. Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoon shorts of yesteryear. Fascinating information, photos, and artwork from the 'toons make this an engaging read for any fan of animation and their favourite childhood TV characters. I grew up with Bugs, Daffy, and the gang, plus I worked in the industry briefly, so getting this was a no-brainer. 

Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott - A user-friendly "guide" to writing, written with smarts and light humour. It was so easy to immediately grasp and put into use the concepts imparted by this very approachable author. A fun and informative book that I've gone through at least a couple of times. I highly recommend it to aspiring writers of any calibre.

Seal Team Six, by Howard E. Wasdin - It's been years since I've read this, so my memory is hazy on the story, but this ex-Navy Seal turns his gruelling experiences getting into and serving with his elite Seal team into a compelling, exciting, and inspiring real-life story. This made me feel like I wanted to become a Seal... yet I knew deep down it was impossible. It takes an extremely tough and committed person to make the grade in Wasdin's world.


Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion, by George Thompson - This is among the very few self-help books I've read that really made a difference. Thompson puts his concepts in easy-to-absorb terms so that the reader can immediately begin the journey to more easily navigate verbal confrontations and encourage cooperation. His logic resonated with me and I found it quite do-able to put his ideas to the test. With a little effort, or a lot, I was able to turn things around in some sticky situations and began to build better working relationships.

Sleep, by Nick Littlehales - We all need sleep, and we all need the right amount of sleep. I, like many others, have trouble in this department on a regular basis. It wasn't always this way, but the science presented here helped me discover what my barriers were to a good night's sleep and how to improve that... or at least become better rested even without a full, sound night in bed. Naps are part of the program, but there are rules to doing them. It gets easier with practice and even without following every tip in the book, I know I've benefitted from the enlightening info herein. A small, unimposing book that presents important details in concise chunks. Hopefully, reading this will put you to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment