Sunday, September 2, 2018

New Additions to the Record Shelf

A few weeks back, I found myself some really cool records, all used but for the most part, very clean and listenable. Some pristine!

First off, I got the Monkees' album Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. Released in 1967, this was where the boys were really coming into their own as songwriters and instrumentalists. Sure, the Monkees started off simply singing songs written and played by other songwriters and musicians, but as they got their sea-legs, they wanted to do far more than just show up to the microphone for recordings. One highlight for me is Love Is Only Sleeping. Love Mike's guitar riffs there.



In keeping with the pop oldies, I also picked up two Partridge Family records, their first one and their third, entitled Sound Magazine, from 1970 and '71, respectively. I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I find that PF music is a guilty pleasure; I won't admit my love of this stuff to just anyone. But I watched the Partridges on TV as a kid, so I came by the tunes honestly. That show was even an early inspiration for me to play guitar! It wasn't until the early 2000's that I rediscovered this music... and now I'm kinda hooked again.

On another note, I chose a couple of progressive rock albums by British band Yes. I had a little trouble deciding what to get because Yes' most famous album Fragile was tough to find in VG+ (very good plus) condition and for a reasonable price. For most used vinyl records, but especially Yes, I draw the line at the VG+ grading. It only makes sense for such intricate music with so many quiet and subtle passages in their music. And since quality Fragile LPs were beyond my price range, I had to choose instead...

Going For The One, which is possibly my favourite Yes album anyway. Well, my opinion swings from this to Fragile from day to day. This album contains only five songs, long songs... and that is a good thing with Yes music. Their compositions are varied yet are all masterfully performed - such a perfect blend of rock, jazz, classical, country, whatever. It's sophisticated and enthralling. Turn of the Century is perhaps my favourite Yes song, and of course, Wonderous Stories is a classic... and then the epic hippie-spacey Awaken is among my faves, too.

Hesitant to re-buy more Yes studio albums (already got every Yes on CD - the 60's, 70's, and 80's stuff), I opted for Classic Yes, a tidy compilation LP that covers a bunch of the best of the band. Songs like Heart of the Sunrise, Yours is No Disgrace, Starship Trooper, and several more. And this particular record I bought was in near mint condition, so the sound is crystal clear, not a pop or crackle to be heard. In this case, better than a CD.

Along with this little bunch of albums, the seller (on Discogs) threw in a freebie, Greatest Hits by Linda Ronstadt. I'd been meaning to check out more of her country rock/pop stuff, but never got around to it. Now I'm in. From start to finish, this is a very cool selection of the best of Ronstadt. I never really knew much about her, other than that the early members of The Eagles were her backup band... and as we all know, those guys split off and became super famous on their own. I noticed in the album credits that Ronstadt had some of the biggest names in music playing on her stuff. Guys like Andrew Gold, Bernie Leadon, David Lindley... and she ably tackled songs written by guys like The Eagles' Frey and Henley, Neil Young, Buddy Holly, Mike Nesmith, and Paul Anka. A fine mixture of genres, all seamlessly strung together in a nice package.

--

I did a little cross-town tour on Saturday to pick up some "new" used records for my growing collection. Once again, I had ordered these through Discogs, and since the seller was a local fellow, I skipped the shipping option and did an in-person pick-up. A friendly transaction overall, and I'm pleased with my new acquisitions. All in fine condition and very reasonably priced.



As I assembled my order while browsing my local Discogs seller's online store, my first record of interest was a Doors compilation called "13". This album is notable because it was the only "best of" released while the Doors were still together. Before Jim Morrison's untimely death. In fact, it's not really fair to call this a "greatest hits" at all, because among the radio staples are a sampling of nice - though perhaps lesser-known - deep cuts. Songs like: Moonlight Drive, You're Lost Little Girl, Land Ho!, and Wild Child. 

Released in November of 1970, "13" obviously did not include any tracks from the forthcoming L.A. Woman, which wouldn't grace record store racks until April of '71. So this interesting compilation isn't exactly a complete overview of The Doors' career. Still, it's a cool set of what the Doors did best: introspective and often controversial psychedelic rock music. 


As I skimmed my CD shelves for ideas for new LPs, I came upon my super solid compilation of Journey's music called The Essential Journey, a 2-disc set packed with 32 songs. Though this represented all the biggies - and then some - from the 70's and 80's, I felt it was time to add a Journey studio album or two to my record shelf. And I didn't want to buy frikkin' Escape again, for the second or third time. Yeah, that's the album with Don't Stop Believin' and Stone in Love. Both songs I really like a lot, but I don't care for absolutely everything on that record... plus I already knew that album all too well. 


So.... I decided on the first Journey album to feature Steve Perry on vocals, Infinity. I'd never heard this one before... and wow, what an amazing record! There were a few tunes I knew, like Wheel in the Sky and Lights, but the rest of the tracks were all exceptional, too... including La Do Da (silly lyrics but a kickin' rock song), Can Do (sounds a bit like Queen), and Anytime (which I recognized, but not as Journey, since lead vocals were not Perry). 


Since prices were so affordable, I snagged a second Journey album, Frontiers, from 1983. Separate Ways was the big hit off this one, plus there are a handful of other strong tracks I knew from my CD comp. I haven't given Frontiers, the vinyl record, a spin yet, so I can't offer more feedback than that.




Then for something completely different, I picked up Dean Martin's Greatest Hits! Volume One. Ever since I was a kid watching Dean in the Lewis and Martin comedies, and then as he portrayed super spy Matt Helm in film, I have enjoyed his brand of old-time cocktail crooning. Though this collection doesn't include classics like That's Amore and Sway, it's got some familiar tunes, plus plenty more to try out for the first time. Maybe I'll recognize a few of those from decades past. Good times. 

A freebie thrown into my order by the generous Discogs seller was Crimes of Passion by Pat Benatar. I know the album fairly well, and welcome this rockin' disc to my record shelf. Though hard rock predominates on Crimes (Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Treat Me Right, Hell is for Children), Benatar and crew are adventurous in spots, like on the skip-tempo Little Paradise, sultry-riffy I'm Gonna Follow You, and the new-wavey Out-A-Touch. 


A nice little haul. I can't wait to spin all of these and enjoy the warm vinyl sounds of the past. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment