Saturday, September 29, 2018

New Records - Canadian Content! - in the Listening Booth

So sorry I missed posting an entry to my blog last weekend, but my fair city was treated to a couple of tornadoes that knocked out power and internet, among other things. A crazy weekend, but I was among the fortunate (my heart goes out to those who lost their entire homes and possessions), and was back on track within a couple of days. 



But on to the matter at hand: music... and records. 

Over the past several weeks, I have found plenty of deals and cool stuff on vinyl. For instance, at the local charity shop, Value Village, I found a few used records in better than decent condition for just a couple of bucks apiece. 

At such low prices, I feel freer to try out music I wouldn't otherwise take the chance on, like John Denver's Greatest Hits... an enjoyable set of his best country-rock and folk-tinged songs. I had only ever really known a few of his big hits and it was a pleasant surprise to hear those and more on here. A worthwhile buy which I'm sure I'll revisit now and again. Take Me Home, Country Roads and Rocky Mountain High are highlights for me.

Next up, another one than would have been chancy had the price been much higher: the 1974 compilation, Country, by Anne Murray. The Canadian country superstar was knocking out her best tunes before '74 even rolled around, because the few songs I sort of knew are included on this album. Put Your Hand in the Hand and Cotton Jenny were only on my radar because I remember singing those in grade 2 music class. Well, I didn't actually sing... I just pretended. It just wasn't cool back then. I'd heard of the song Snowbird my whole life, but I don't think I ever even heard it until I spun this LP.

The Oscar Peterson Trio's seminal jazz album, Night Train, jumped right off that shelf to me. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's I was deep into jazz and though I didn't own any of Peterson's albums, I did hear some of his music, including this record's title track, on late night jazz programs on the radio. I might even have the song Night Train on a compilation CD somewhere around here. This legendary Canadian jazz performer is honoured here in Ottawa by a statue of the man at his piano just outside our National Arts Centre. Amazing music, perfect for a relaxing evening sipping a libation. 

This last week of September saw the release of the new Voivod album, The Wake. The Quebec, Canada "progressive thrash punk" band has been recording since the early 80's and though their experimental approach to metal has wandered in at least a few different directions over the decades, they have certainly hit yet another high point with The Wake. I hear both new ideas and vintage Voivod sounds in this dynamic set of songs. And the album on vinyl is a real treat: a two-record set in a colourful gatefold jacket, plus a poster reproduction of the album cover art (by drummer Away), lyric sheet, and the B-side of the second record is etched with the Voivod logo. Probably the coolest album in my vinyl collection.

The statuesque jazz legend Oscar Peterson.
Photo credit: Turtlehead, Ottawa

Just this morning, I picked up a handful of used records in very nice condition. First off, there are two double album compilations of music by The Who. I debated about buying - yet again - studio albums by these guys. I mean, I've been a Who fan since I got going in music as a hobby. I've owned, and still own, some of their best albums, like Who's Next, Who Are You, Quadrophenia, and By Numbers... plus various compilations over the years. I've been through cassette tapes and CDs of these things and just wanted to hear Who songs in a different context on record.

But now, for my first Who on vinyl, I chose two 2-LP comps that represent an accurate cross-section of the band's career. I got Hooligans, released in 1981, which not only features the requisite standards but also slips in some great deeper tracks like The Relay, Slip Kid, and Had Enough. 

The second Who album I grabbed was the The Kids Are Alright, another double-record set, and the soundtrack songs from the movie of the same name. Between these two Who albums, there are only a few tunes' worth of overlap. I was careful about that. This one hits all the high points of the band's illustrious career, touching on the milestones, but also boasting some slightly lesser known but still very cool ones like Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere; Tommy, Can You Hear Me; and Sparks. 

I also loaded up on the first three albums by Canada's own Burton Cummings, vocalist extraordinaire and ex-member of The Guess Who. Yeah, this guy is Canadian rock royalty. I was a fan back in the late 70's/early 80's when his music was all over the radio. I owned his Dream of a Child album on 8-track (well, I've still got it... check it out below), but never got around to buying anything else until CDs came along and I grabbed his "Best Of", a fine overview of the man's solo career. 

So the first Cummings album (1976) is self-titled and packs a helluva punch with radio hits Stand Tall and I'm Scared, not to mention equally solid Your Back Yard and Is It Really Right. This primo singer, pianist and songwriter makes everything classy and rockin' and soulful all at once. 

Then there's the record that'll sound most familiar to the average listener: My Own Way To Rock. The title track is of course perhaps Cummings' best-known song to the world at large. There are a few other slick tunes I know on there, but I've yet to put this one on the turntable so I can't comment much further. I'm really looking forward to it, though. 

The third Cummings album is the aforementioned Dream of a Child. So many memories associated with this one, since I owned it on 8-track (see below) as a teen and only had access to a player (it belonged to my parents) until about '83. Since then, the tape's been in storage and I've only been able to hear the songs in my head. A lot has stuck in there from back in the day... funny how later in life, music doesn't cling to the mind-grapes the same way. Well, now I have it in the lovely vinyl LP record format. 



Oh, and the guy I bought all these Who and Cummings records from threw in a freebie, Broken English by Marianne Faithfull. I can't say I ever knew a single thing about Faithfull, other than I heard that she was involved with Mick Jagger back in the 60's and 70's. This album is apparently considered her best by those in the know, so who knows - I may be in for a treat. Maybe I'll recognize something. Fingers crossed on this one. 

Quite the haul. Now I need to knuckle under and get in some quality listening time with these records. When I have more thoughts on some of these new discs, I'll post them here. 

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment