Saturday, November 7, 2015

SPECTRE Galore

The brand new James Bond film SPECTRE premiered in theatres here last night. I'm going to wait a few days or so before I head over to the cineplex.... avoid the opening weekend heavy crowds and all that. Still, I am keen and curious to see this latest entry in the long-running spy movie series. 

This twenty-fourth Bond motion picture is already getting favourable ratings (I'm not reading reviews... yet) across the board, mostly 7.5 to 8.0 out of 10, from those I've seen. I'll decide for myself once I see it.
A tasty Heineken lager, not shaken, not stirred

I may be alone on this, but I look forward to a new actor stepping into Bond's shoes. I have found that for the most part, the last three films have been good (or great), not because of Daniel Craig in the role of Bond, but because of everything else in the movies. The supporting cast were often exceptional, the scripts were strong, the theme songs and film scores were usually really good, and the stunts and cinematography were of typically high (Walther PPK) calibre. Bond films are famous for their massive budgets and attention to quality. And product placement.

But I'm just not much of a Craig fan. I mean, he's fine, but I don't look at him and think Bond. His appearance (and not just his hair colour, which frazzled everyone when they first heard he was chosen as the new 007) simply doesn't impress me as a James Bond. Watching Craig as Bond makes me feel like this could be any guy in the role... like Matt Damon or Jason Statham... and that this could be any fictional spy (Jason Bourne, Matt Helm, Napoleon Solo, etc). This fan feels that Clive Owen was the Bond that should have been, though it's a little late now, considering his age. Just look at Owen in The International and tell me that doesn't look like a great Bond movie. Head to head with Craig's uninspired Quantum of Solace, International wins out as a thrilling action/espionage film.

I don't feel like Craig fits the part the same way previous actors have. I like every other Bond actor in some way, to one degree or another. Connery, Lazenby, and Brosnan are tops, with Dalton and Moore bringing up the rear. Rumours have been flying around about who the next Bond actor may be, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Craig is contracted for one more film as 007. But enough of that... too negative for Bond fans to absorb at this time. Instead, let's focus on SPECTRE.


Just one appearance as Bond, and George Lazenby 
made a lasting impression as MI6 operative Bond

No comments:

Post a Comment