Monday, February 16, 2015

Variety is the Spice of Life

When I was a kid during the 70's, I watched a lot of TV. A lot. That meant that not only did I watch the quality stuff, like Rockford Files and All in the Family, but also plenty of average (or worse) shows. Things like The Brady Bunch, Welcome Back Kotter, and Happy Days (okay, that one was good until the shark incident). 

Then there were the TV variety and talk shows of the 70's. And the evening musical specials. Man, there was a glut of that stuff back then. Just about every major entertainer from any given genre had their day with a TV special or weekly program. Music, dancing, comedy, magic, you name it.... the last of the vaudeville hold-outs, I guess you'd say. You could see rising stars as well as established veterans taking the stage, everyone pulling out all the stops.

I remember seeing The Jackson Five (featuring little Michael and even baby Janet) on the tube, with their ABC's and 1-2-3's. Fun! At the other end of the spectrum there was the curious pop phenomenon of The Osmonds, which when distilled down to its worst form, became just the Donny & Marie show. Glittery, wholesome family fare, with a rack of guest performers. Hard to believe that Don was only 18, and Marie just 16, when they started that show. A little bit rock'n'roll....


Poppa been busy....

The Ian Tyson Show was on my viewing schedule, too, with its country-themed musical entertainment. Ian and his wife Sylvia hosted and played, and a mix of Canadian and American artists joined them onstage. Fun fact: Canadian blues-rocker David Wilcox got his start with the Tysons' Great Speckled Bird Band.

It is regrettable that I grew up with The Brady Bunch on TV. I was too young to be critical of what I was watching back then, so I ate it all up like a bowl of Sugar Smacks. The crowning achievement must have been their prime-time Brady Bunch Variety Hour. I would cringe, if not fall physically ill, if I watched it now. 

Marginally better in my eyes was The Partridge Family, mainly because they were a band. Sort of. Most of the cast couldn't even play their instruments (just look at Danny on guitar and Chris on drums. Hacks.) Anyway, even after the show had been cancelled, there was enough interest for a reunion special. Yay.


Cave dwellers from the 70's

The vast number of musical artists who took over the airwaves during this decade is staggering. I can't even begin to list them all, but a few others were: Glen Campbell (more country pap), The Carpenters (pop sensations!), Andy Williams (not my bag), Dean Martin (hey, he was a funny drunk), Bay City Rollers (plaid short pants aside, their music appealed to me when I was a young'un), and Sonny and Cher (they got me, babe). All of these performers had their gigs on the small screen, some lasting longer than others. 

Then there were the shows hosted by non-musicians, guys like Flip Wilson, Rowan & Martin (Laugh-In), and Red Skelton. These were comedy programs that often featured some musical entertainment, too. But I was so young at the time that my memories of them are very vague now. 

During my public school (that's primary - or grammar - school to some of you) days, I would charge home after classes to plunk myself in front of the idiot box for a couple of hours of brain-washing before dinnertime. Along with Gilligan's Island and The Monkees, I checked out talk shows hosted by the likes of Merv Griffin, John Davidson, and Mike Douglas. Some of that stuff went over my head, but I did appreciate seeing up-and-coming musicians in action and chatting with the host. For some reason, I still recall an episode of Mike Douglas when brand new rock sensation Eddie Money sang Two Tickets to Paradise. I bought the record shortly after that. Still love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment