Saturday, February 28, 2015

I Grok Spock

The original rapper hand sign

That slogan, "I Grok Spock", was popular in the late 1960's, as the TV sensation Star Trek took hold of the world. The word "grok", according to its originator, science-fiction author Robert A. Heinlein, means "to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes part of the observed - to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience" (source: Wikipedia). 

Maybe something like the Vulcan mind meld that Mr, Spock of Star Trek sometimes performed on people and alien life forms. Spock created a psychic link to the individual in order to feel and think all that is in the mind of the other. One of the most memorable mind meld moments for me was in the episode The Devil in the Dark. Here, Spock locks onto the rock creature called the Horta, sharing the experience of great pain and sadness for the deaths of its offspring. Creepy yet touching. For something that looks like it just popped out of a volcano.

I want to talk about Spock because yesterday, February 27, 2015 marked the passing of the actor Leonard Nimoy. Nimoy was active in many of the arts, though he was, and always will be, best known as his character Spock in the Star Trek TV series of the 60's and then in the franchise films to follow in the 70's and 80's. 

Spock was a half human, half Vulcan who served as science officer and first officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise, the space craft that travelled across galaxies to explore and to protect those in need. Nimoy, aided by the make-up team, did an excellent job as the highly logical being who sported pointed ears, an unnaturally greenish skin tone, and upswept eyebrows, sort of devilish in appearance. Spock was a character of peace and reason, rarely given to displays of emotion, though he did have his moments, thanks to his human side which usually lay simmering just beneath his cool and calm exterior. Spock occasionally burst out in glee or anger when his feelings just couldn't be contained. This sort of thing often invited a ribbing from Dr. McCoy, who loved to tease the green-blooded logician. 


I wore my awesome Trek tee
while watching classic 60's
ST episodes yesterday

Spock was at his best when he raised one eyebrow and commented, "Fascinating, Captain". Sometimes he would appear bemused, even amused, at his dear Captain Kirk's human weaknesses - like women. 

Nimoy's Spock was a complex character, normally stoic and analytical, but he sometimes strayed from Vulcan convention. One moment he'd be destroying someone in a game of 3-D chess, and the next, he'd be soothingly stroking a pussycat. Or coldly executing battle tactics, then showing great compassion for his closest friend, the captain of the Enterprise, Jim Kirk. 

There was more to Leonard Nimoy than his Spock role, but this is what I know him best for.... I grew up watching the man doing his best alien impression on TV, so I rarely think of him in any other context. Yes, I know he had a tiny appearance in 1954's sci-fi giant bug movie Them! And I did enjoy his role in the '78 remake of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers... which I intend to re-watch very shortly; it's been decades since I last saw it. 

I didn't really follow Nimoy's career very closely after that, though I did catch all of the Star Trek films in the theatres and his cameo appearances on TV's Futurama, Simpsons and Big Bang Theory. 

As a kid and as a young teen, I was a huge Trek fan, buying up everything I could find on the subject back in the day (the mid-to-late 70's). I had stacks of books, magazines, fanzines (traded and sold off years ago), some posters (sadly missing now - I wish I still had a beautiful painting reproduction ordered from Starlog Magazine), an Enterprise T-shirt, a tricorder toy, records, and model kits (Enterprise, Galileo shuttle, and phaser/tricorder/communicator set). I even joined the Star Trek Fan Club and by (snail) mail bought collectibles like photos, film clips, and embroidered uniform insignias. I think most of that stuff was all sold off many years ago. I only had so much room for things that simply sat in boxes. I do still have some of my most cherished books displayed on my bookshelves... I talk about them in an earlier post

I was quite stunned when I heard the news of Nimoy's death on Friday. I admired his Spock character for many years as a kid and a teenager. I still think he's the coolest of the entire cast of the Star Trek franchise. A fine and gifted man, Nimoy will be missed. 

Live long and prosper, Lenny!


That's one badass Spock....

No comments:

Post a Comment