Saturday, September 13, 2014

Testing For Echoes

They've got the look

As big a Rush fan as I was, I felt there was a stretch of time during the late 80's and early 90's when I had mixed feelings about the band's music. Albums like Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Roll the Bones were highly anticipated, yet there was an element of disappointment associated with each. All three releases had their high points and certainly satisfied a need. But Hold Your Fire felt lightweight in both sound mixing and in the music itself; there was a sameness of tempo and guitar approach from track to track on Presto; and Roll the Bones contained too many "disposable" songs - just weaker songwriting in general. 

1993's Counterparts was a welcome return to form with a heavier sound and catchier, stronger songs. Some might argue this, but I believe that 96's Test for Echo was an extension of Counterparts, maintaining the harder rock feel coupled with fresh new musical hooks. While my hopes were high for Test for Echo, I was wary of just how well it would measure up to the standard set by Counterparts. But my fears were for nothing - Test was a fun and invigorating album. 

On June 28, 1997 I found myself clamped in my concert chair at the Montreal Forum, cheering on my favourite Canuck rockers. The boys in the band cranked out a powerful and energetic set, leaving the crowd happy and pumped. But my friends and I were ready for more. Though I wasn't prepared to shell out for another concert ticket, a very good friend offered me a free ticket to come with him and the gang to see Rush again, when they swung by our local arena just days later - the very last concert of the Test for Echo tour. 

By my poor memory, I can't recall if there were many, if any, differences between the two shows. What I do remember is that there were some very special treats in Rush's setlist on this tour. For one thing, I got to hear the 2112 suite in its glorious entirety. Then there was Natural Science, which I don't think I'd ever seen live before... and that was a stunning display. And.... the grand finale of the concert's encore (both times) was a chunk of their prog-metal classic Cygnus X-1. The audience (including me) went wild when we heard those opening staccato notes ringing throughout the rafters. Magical.


The Test for Echo tour program plus ticket stubs from
the two shows I saw within one dreamy week in '97

No comments:

Post a Comment