Friday, September 19, 2014

Mega-Metal

Dave Mustaine helped
set the thrash movement
on fire

In the mid-to-late 80's, I discovered this little band called Megadeth that really tore up the metal scene. Lead singer, guitarist, and founder of the band Dave Mustaine had been a member of Metallica previously, but because of differences in that camp, he packed up and set up a new and highly successful career with his new band. I had the Peace Sells and So Far, So Good albums back in the day, and though I wasn't sure about all of their music, I did find nuggets of gold in those recordings. A friend who had their first release, Killing is My Business... and Business is Good, let me sample that now and then. Very raw and aggressive stuff. 

What appealed to me on this material was the highly technical playing of the band members, especially Dave himself. I really latched onto the Rust in Peace album, thanks to the magnificent guitar interplay between Mustaine and his fellow axe man Marty Friedman. Friedman was a freakin' maniac on the guitar, a perfect complement to Mustaine's heavy yet melodic playing style. 

I've come to believe that Rust in Peace is among the very best metal albums ever recorded. Yes, I rank it right up there with Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell (a personal fave), Sad Wings of Destiny, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Reign in Blood, and Number of the Beast. In fact, I just might place Rust in Peace in my top three of all-time metal. 

Every single song on Rust in Peace is perfection. Each has its own mood and story, yet they all tie together almost like a concept album.... linked thematically perhaps, though not always obviously. More instrumentally than lyrically. There is that flow from song to song that brings to mind the Beatles' Abbey Road album.... not the music itself, but the seamless and natural progression from track to track. 

Though Mustaine had his personal issues, like battling substance abuse, he was a primo musician and entertainer. He expressed himself honestly through his music and it really showed. Songs like Peace Sells, Holy Wars, and Symphony of Destruction were emblematic of Dave's stance on world issues, where his lyrical and vocal talents met and spewed out angry, bitter commentary. Something substantial for the metalhead who wants a little more from his or her music.

I never saw Megadeth headline but I did see them open for Heaven and Hell (really just Black Sabbath with Dio on the mic) in 2007. That was a total blast since I was and still am a major fan of Dio's work with Sab, plus I've long been an admirer of Mustaine's music. A loud and glorious evening that was.

Megadeth was one of metal's esteemed "big four", which included Metallica, Anthrax and Slayer. These giants of the genre were key in the development and popularization of American thrash metal. 

For me, there was something more to Megadeth.... though I could wrap my fingers around some Metallica songs on guitar, I just couldn't manage Megadeth's speedy and complex arrangements. But hey, that was just me.... a worse than average guitarist at the time. The music was often challenging and the lyrics thoughtful if blunt.

The band has dealt with a lot of controversy over the years, facing album and music video bans, cancelled concerts, and criticism of their lyrics. Megadeth's image may not please the masses but the metal community embraces them for their honesty and integrity. Very in your face and uncensored, but then again, this sort of music has always addressed dark issues that make some people uncomfortable. But isn't this a sort of therapy?

Megadeth's first release featured band mascot Vic Rattlehead,
who would go on to adorn many of the later album covers

No comments:

Post a Comment