Sunday, June 5, 2022

My Favourite Songs - Part VIII

For weeks and weeks, I've had the same little bunch of songs pop into my head frequently, and I'm talking like more than a few times per day. It wasn't because I'd been listening to them a lot, so I guess there is just something special about these tunes that has locked them into my mind's playlist and freed them lately.

Edgar Winter Group rockin' out in the 70's

To begin with, Free Ride by Edgar Winter Group has been the foremost of the songs that repeatedly sneaks into my mental music playlist. I have no idea why. I haven't heard it anywhere in recent times, not on radio, on CD, records, streaming, anywhere. In fact, this wasn't a song I knew at all for many decades. But I'm pretty sure I heard it in some movie set in the 70's, probably quite a while ago. And the summer pop-rock perfection of the song really sank in and stuck. I hear a little Doobie Brothers and Eagles in there, plus something unique to Winter's sound. Those "ooo ooo's" are the cherry on top. The beautiful summery weather lately has put me in the mood for fun, happy music like this. And this led me to finally purchase my first Edgar Winter album - on vinyl - so I could enjoy this song and other classics any ol' time I want.

The Bitch is Back by Elton John goes way, way back for me. This appeared on one of the first records I bought as a young record collector, ol' Elton's (well, young then) Greatest Hits Volume II. That crazy slightly overdriven rhythm guitar, the punchy horn section, and Elton sneering those wacky, cool lyrics - decades later, I still love it. Super catchy melodies and a rich deep recording really give this a kick. The guitar tone is awesome, a fine polish on the tasty licks that give the song even more depth. I always have fond memories when I hear this old Elton classic.

Matte Kudasai by King Crimson has swirled around the edges of my mind ever since I first heard it back in the late 80's. I had the song on a CD compilation years ago, and more recently picked up the KC album Discipline, on which Matte Kudasai first appeared. I had a little trouble appreciating most Crimson music from day one, but have more recently come around. Yet... this particular song really resonated with me from first listen. A thing of beauty, this gentle pop ballad by a band known more for their prog-noise-rock. I could listen to this any time, regardless of my mood.

Girls Got Rhythm by AC/DC. That riff! These famous Aussie rockers were/are kings of the riff, and here's yet another banger that makes me wanna air guitar and holler along with dear Bon (RIP). That urgent, bluesy hard rock core sets off the headbanger in me every time. Definitely one of my fave AC/DC songs, energetic and raunchy and prepared to party. 

I Can See For Miles by The Who was a prototype for heavy metal if there ever was one. That big chugging guitar and bass sound, as simple as it is, lays down a devastating booming bottom end while Mr. Moon frantically bashes every drum and cymbal in his kit. Then on top of all that mayhem are the angelic vocal harmonies and smooth Daltrey verses. That contrast is significant in the success of the song. The energy, power, and excitement of Miles stands the test of time and still, to me, represents all that was and is great about The Who.

---

This is blog post #499... what on Earth will happen in the milestone next post ???

No comments:

Post a Comment