Sunday, April 3, 2022

Albums I'm Supposed to Like... But I Don't

Some folks think their favourite albums, especially those considered "classics", should appeal to everyone else. Well, I've got news for you, not everyone likes the same stuff, whether it be music, movies, books, food, whatever. And I'm not one of those people who decides I don't like something without ever having checked it out first, basing my decision only on other people's (possibly) more informed opinions. I know for a fact that the albums I'll list below are held in high esteem by the majority of music listeners. Yet even after forcing myself to give repeated listens to these, I simply could not get into them. Or maybe an initial "sort of" liking due to the enthusiasm of a friend will fade rather quickly and I'll realize I don't much like it after all. It happens.

You'd think The Eagles' Desperado album would be super cool judging by the cover photo.
But no. Not for me.

Aja, by Steely Dan: yeah, people rave about it, but I find it so uninteresting compared to the much more varied and fun tunes of the Dan's earlier albums. These songs are so samey, plodding, and sterile. Great musicianship and super slick production don't save these dull compositions for me. Smooth "rock' at its most sleep-inducing, with the exception of Deacon Blues and Peg. Oh well.

Desperado, by The Eagles: this Old West outlaw concept album seemed like a good idea at first glance, but the endless country (and bluegrass?) noodling lost me pretty darned quick. I can enjoy some country rock, but there ain't much (any?) rock here. The title track and Tequila Sunrise are about all I can stomach. Too bad, 'cuz I do like an awful lot of Eagles music elsewhere.

And Justice For All, by Metallica: ugh. Yes, there have been its detractors from day one based on the sound engineering alone. Zero bottom end, no bass, tinny drums, et cetera. But on top of that (and even on the newer bass-enhanced versions), I have trouble with the songs themselves. Something seriously changed in their approach after the epic metal masterpiece Master of Puppets. The drumming is so pared down and uninspired... that huge kit, and this is all Lars will give us? Guitars are reduced to the leanest parts possible. Their songwriting went in a direction where I just could not follow. At least on the next (Black) album, they punched up the tuneship and fattened the sound.

Fear of Music, by Talking Heads: okay, I've always loved their big hits, including Life During Wartime, which appears here. Buuuut... this other stuff, well, it's kinda beyond me. More out there (weird) than I can appreciate. I mean, it took me decades to enjoy some 80's King Crimson, and that's similar to this. When it comes to Byrne and Co., I want more straight-up (a little wonky is okay) pop. Much of this is not that, with the very odd exception, like Paper. Otherwise, it sounds very samey from track to track, with slightly different tempos, but unchanging guitar twanging and plump-plump bass. Other than Wartime, I can live without this. Too bad.

Houses of the Holy, by Led Dirigible: sacriligious to say this, I know, but I cannot enjoy Houses. I guess I did somewhat for a while way back in the late 70's-early 80's when there wasn't much else to compare to Zeppelin. But today (I tried it twice recently) I can't get past Plant's Smurf squeals. The Rain Song is interminable, The Crunge just plain painful. The Song Remains and Over the Hills and The Crunge are cool enough instrumentally, but I have seriously soured on Plant's vocal delivery. Hey, I grew up on this stuff, so it is hard to explain what happened. Just no longer my cup o' tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment