Saturday, February 19, 2022

Books and Bookstores in Movies

 I love books. And I love movies. I especially love movies that feature books and/or bookstores. There is something wonderful about seeing shops packed top to bottom with glorious books, old and new... but especially old. A sense of history breathes life into an old hardbound, even handbound, book - perhaps with a hint of the ornate on the spine and maybe the cover. Even musty, worn paperbacks hold an appeal for me. I own softcover books in both fine and shabby shape that date back as far as the 1950's. I have some even older hardcovers.

Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate, a creepy film about a dealer of rare books

I've seen a fair number of films in this neat little genre, though I know I need to check out at least a few notables that I've missed. What got me to thinking about even writing about this topic is my recent viewing (first time!) of the charming 84 Charing Cross Road, starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins. I've always been aware of this 80's movie but put it off as boring grown-up stuff. Now that I'm a boring grown-up, I thought it was time to give this a chance. I loved it! I never even knew the story (based on real life) was about a bookshop. Bancroft is a New York writer who in her search for rare old books, locates a London, England bookseller, Hopkins, who can fulfill her requests through mail order. Their long-distance relationship by mail continues for twenty years. Charing Cross gave me the warm fuzzies, just the perfect love letter to the world of books.

One of my favourite "book movies" is The Ninth Gate, a suspenseful horror thriller starring Johnny Depp as a rare book dealer. He turns detective in his search for a rare and ancient book that is said to have the power to summon the Devil. A genre mash-up made in heaven for me. The Ninth Gate is based on the novel The Club Dumas, which I enjoy a lot, too, though there are differences between the literary source and its film adaptation. I gravitate toward the movie (though some feel it's inferior), mainly because of its neo-noir atmosphere, cinematic depiction of mysterious and supernatural events, and fascinating characters realized by a strong cast. I've watched Ninth Gate innumerable times since it's theatrical release in 1999.

A more recent amazing find is The Bookshop, a 2017 drama about a widow who opens a store in a small English coastal town. Actor Emily Mortimer is perfect as the mousy yet strong-willed shop owner who battles with influential townsfolk who wish to shut down her business. Bill Nighy is a likable wealthy and bookish recluse who slowly warms to the new bookseller. It's a quiet and gently humourous film that I immediately loved, and even tracked down an import copy on Blu Ray to enjoy again and again. This has become my favourite book movie.

Far from an exhaustive list, here are some other book movies I've enjoyed over the years:

Hugo - a mesmerizing fantasy tale that checks all the boxes for me. It's about movies, really, but involves books and the history of both enough that I'm a fan. A visual feast.

Before Sunset - part two in a film trilogy about writer Jesse and Celine, who first met randomly in Europe and instantly connected. They shared mere hours together, yet they promised to meet up again. This is their next brief meeting, years later, where they reconnect and share much about their lives apart. An intimate and fascinating character study.

The Name of the Rose - an historical mystery surrounding the murders of Franciscan monks, each death resembling those depicted in ancient texts. I read the book and saw the movie decades ago, so I recall almost nothing about the story, but I do recall enjoying it.

The Ghost Writer

Adaptation

The Book Thief

Manhattan

Young Adult

You've Got Mail

When Harry Met Sally

The Last Bookshop (a short film which can be found on Youtube)

Dan in Real Life


So, read books and watch movies about books. G'day!

No comments:

Post a Comment