Saturday, July 31, 2021

In Memoriam... Dusty Hill of ZZ Top

Sigh.... this week saw the passing of bass-playing monster Dusty Hill, whose gruff vocals were the perfect counterpoint to Billy Gibbons in their "l'il ol' band from Texas", ZZ Top.

At age 72, I guess you could say Hill had lived a pretty full life. A lifetime of music and fame, and probably his fair share of cash along the way. He had been playing live shows until recently, when he missed a gig due to a reported hip issue. It's been a long long ride for him and the boys of ZZ Top, who've been a tight-knit blues-rock trio since 1969, and recording legendary albums since '71.

I've been a fan of ZZ ever since I first heard them on the radio in the mid-to-late 70's. The songs I first got to know and love were Tush, La Grange, and Cheap Sunglasses. ZZ Top captured my imagination when they hit the mainstream bigtime with their Eliminator album in '83. I had the pleasure of seeing them perform live on their Recycler tour in '91. I'm still a fan today. In fact, in recent years I've been gradually adding early ZZ albums to my record shelves as I re-enjoy the vinyl medium. I'm at this moment spinning Francine, a favourite ZZ tune featuring Dusty on lead vocals. I also love his interplay with Billy on Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers. Can't forget the biggest Dusty-sung ZZ Top track of all, Tush.

RIP, Dusty...


No comments:

Post a Comment