Sunday, December 20, 2020

A Good Christmas Haul to All

 Well, we are now into the week of Christmas. The final countdown. All my shopping and mailing is done. Since any family I'd normally see is far away, and with the health restrictions all over the place, I won't get to see them. Not nice, but at least I have some new music to help me bide my time over the holidays.

A co-worker recently gave me a stack of records that he no longer wanted. Miraculously, there are actually several very cool ones in the bunch. Only one stinker, and maybe one or two others I'll give away. But a nice surprise getting all this vinyl when I finally have the time to try it all out. A few are reissues of oldies, while the rest are early (possibly first) issues.

The first album I checked out was March of the Saint, by Armoured Saint. This 80's traditional/power metal band sort of flew under my personal radar back in the day. I'd heard of them, but never got to know their music. Anyway, this debut album is pretty solid, if a bit "soft" and slick. There's no crunch or bite to the music, but there are some fun riffs and rhythms, and the guitar tone is pretty cool. Pretty safe as far as metal goes, but not bad by any stretch.

Next, I spun Pyramid, by Alan Parsons Project. I wasn't familiar with this album, though a few tunes were on a CD compilation I have (but rarely listened to). So nearly all new to my ears. Pretty good proggish pop/rock, with only one stinker in the bunch. I enjoyed the record for the most part, not loving it, but it could grow on me more. Not on the same level as Eye in the Sky or I Robot, but just fine.

Then last night I snuck in Side A of AC/DC's 1985 release, Fly On the Wall. On first glance, I thought this would be a giveaway, but after looking closer at the track listing, then actually listening to some of it, I've changed my mind. This is a solid rocker. And in my opinion, it's got a bit more meat on it than previous album, Flick of the Switch, which try as I might, I just can't get into. Stronger songs, I'd say.

There's another AC/DC record, Let There Be Rock, which I owned on cassette tape back in the 80's. While there are a few classic tracks, this album never grabbed me big-time. But I'll give it a chance... who knows, maybe hearing LTBR after all these years, I'll like it more.

Also in the new stack of oldies, there's Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden. This is a reissue, so fingers crossed it sounds all right. I recall a year or two ago, I checked out a reissue on Youtube and did NOT like the remix... elements of songs didn't sound quite right, not like the original recording I was familiar with. Anyway, when I get to it, I'll see how it rates. The album is certainly a favourite (possibly my very favourite) Maiden album.

Another 80's classic here is Eliminator, by ZZ Top. I loved this back in the day, owning it on tape and playing it to death during that MTV era. But as time wore on, and I discovered the magic of the bluesier, grittier 70's ZZ music, I took a stronger shining to that and let the slick 80's drum-and-synth-driven ZZ tunes fall by the wayside. But I'll still give it a spin and see how I feel about it nowadays. Though I've owned it on CD for decades, I may have only ever revisited it once or twice, and not in many, many years.

Getting away from rock'n'roll, there are three folk albums by my hometown boy, good ol' Gordon Lightfoot. There are his first two releases, Lightfoot! and The Way I Feel, from '66 and '67 respectively, both looking like original pressings by the jacket designs. There's a live album, Sunday Concert, from '69, also an original pressing. I haven't looked at their condition yet, so fingers crossed they are clean enough to enjoy. I do like Gord's music, as I've got his legendary Summertime Dream on vinyl, and a career overview on CD.

The few records I'm not sure about are: The Elvis Medley, a weird 1982 compilation with a six-song medley of hits (which we normally only get in concert and on concert recordings), followed by a respectable string of full tracks... all well-known songs by The King. It might be good, for all I know. The medley section was, apparently, previously unreleased. I already have two other Elvis comps on vinyl, and a few more on CD, so the bar is high already. But I'm a fan, so we'll see.

Then there's the Roy Orbison Collection. I've never been much of a fan of his stuff. I mean, I think I've only ever heard a few of his songs... you know, the ones that we all know, like Oh, Pretty Woman and Only the Lonely. But this isn't the sort of thing I'll play much, or at all. If I want Pretty Woman, I'll listen to my Van Halen cover.

The record I know I'll toss is Killer on the Rampage by Eddy Grant. Electric Avenue is the only Grant song I could name, and I sure don't care about that. Just not my thing at all. That may become a frisbee off my 10th floor balcony.

So, quite the variety of music there, eh? I get a steady fill of Christmas music (and not a very good playlist, by the way) at my workplace, so when I get home after my shift these days, the last thing I want is more holiday-oriented music. But... if the mood strikes me, like perhaps on Christmas day, I do have a handful of CDs of festive tunes. The Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack is my favourite, so that would be my go-to. Also on deck in that regard are my Kylie Minogue Christmas CD, and Liona Boyd's "A Guitar For Christmas" on vinyl, which contains elegant instrumental versions on classical guitar, all very nice. Between my new metal, rock, and folk - and a small smattering of festive stuff - I think I'm covered for the week of Christmas. 

Happy holidays, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment