Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Happy 2020 Canada Day! The records are a'spinnin'...

Today has been a cool one, though rather solitary, thanks to the COVID-19 situation.

Mr. Lightfoot, Canadian folk legend. Jeez, smile, why don't you?

But no worries, it's been a good one. Got a long solid sleep, then went for a very warm weather run, followed up by a resistance band workout. A sweaty and satisfying exercise regimen. Then food, followed by some hooch and a good book. Then I had the itch for some music on vinyl. So I skimmed the latter half of my collection (just to be different) for something to listen to. Some ZZ Top, from their 1981 El Loco album, was in order, so I slapped that on for some groovin' Texas-flavoured blues-rock. I even rearranged my stereo speakers for maximum effect. I've been experimenting with enhancing my sound experience by moving the speakers around lately. I think I've hit upon the best configuration now. Suffice it to say, tunes like Pearl Necklace and Groovy Little Hippie Pad sounded extra crisp and punchy today.

After that, something heavier seemed appropriate. And this happened to satisfy my Canadian content requirement for this birthday of my homeland. Voivod, those crazy progressive thrash metalheads from Quebec, were exactly what I needed. Some chaotic and inventive heaviness that I haven't gone for lately. Quite cool. I opted for their very strong 2018 album The Wake, and played side one, which satisfied my hunger for some metallic Canadiana.

Then to continue the Canadian vibe, I went with some mellower stuff, the folk mastery of good old Gordon Lightfoot. And yes, this legendary songwriter and performer is still among us. I have his Summertime Dream album, considered by many to be his best, with its famous song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Anyway, I chose to spin side two, which I wasn't quite as familiar with. All great stuff, especially The House That You Live In. And I love the reference to the first space shuttle, Enterprise, in Too Many Clues in this Room. It's hard to forget Lightfoot, who hails from my own hometown of Orillia. And you know there's something special about a guy who writes songs that have been recorded by the likes of Elvis, Johnny Cash, and countless others. Way to go, Gordo!

No comments:

Post a Comment