Sunday, June 21, 2020

My Favourite Songs - Part IV

What a hot and steamy day. But I'm not complaining... for me, this is preferable to the icy deep freeze of winter. At least in this weather, I can put a record on the turntable and watch the needle slowly sink into the melting plastic as it spins, then finally succumbs and entirely liquifies, oozing down into the mechanism. This is called "fun".

Mr. Petty sings about Jesus and Elvis in his ode to Los Angeles, Free Fallin' 

Anyway, on to the topic for today: the next instalment of My Favourite Songs. I might as well talk about some tunes that were made for sunny summer days, since this is what I'm currently baking in. Not that I'm complaining. Many songs seem to have been crafted precisely for a season, and there are definitely summertime songs that have found their way onto patio playlists the world over. No matter what year or season the music was released, if it sounded summery, it's on that playlist, even today.

And I'm not just talking about songs about summer, but ones that evoke a mood, a sense, of that idyllic time of the year. Warm, sunny days and deep, steamy evenings. There can be a party flavour or there can be a calm, chillaxin' vibe. Both work, and almost anything in between can, too, if it's done right. So there's a theme here today. Enjoy...


Free Fallin', by Tom Petty - one of the most evocative songs I know. Every time I hear the opening chords, I brace myself for a wave of summertime nostalgia. Friends and I always played this during the summer of 1990... and it became a regular on the car CD player for years to come. Good times. Warm, Americana lyrics transport me to the alleged "land of the free". The breezy rhythm guitar, easy-going tempo, nearly-Beach Boys harmonies... I feel great just listening to it as I write this. 

Beautiful Girls, by Van Halen - classic-era Van Halen, with Sir David Lee Roth on vocal duties. His playful beach pick-up banter and the tuneful vocal harmonies bring a fun, sunny element to the swinging hard rock core of the song. Among my favourite Halen songs, with searing guitar antics, and crazy whoops and hollers.

Take It Easy, by The Eagles - the lively country-ish guitars and banjo, lazy mid-tempo rhythm, and those famous Eagles harmonies elevate this to a timeless celebration of the simple life. The lyrics are simple - girls, a truck, and more girls. And there's a summery vibe that can't be denied. In fact, this past Friday night, this song came on the playlist while sipping beer by a friend's pool... and I felt my work-week just fade away as I fell into the perfect relaxed state. Perfect.

Last Train to Clarksville, by The Monkees - not at all obvious, like my previous songs on the list, but there's that jangly Byrds-like guitar, which always puts me in a summertime mood. The bright percussion, including tambourine, and trademark Monkees harmonies make this a fun, happy, boppy tune. The lyrics are far-removed from summer, I suppose, but who cares? The sound of this great old song brings me back to hazy August days when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment