Saturday, April 18, 2020

My "Drama" Movie Collection... In A Nutshell

I'm kind of running out of genres that reside in my movie collection, so I guess I'll now settle on the rather lacklustre classification of "drama" that rounds up nearly everything else that's left to cover. "Drama" could be almost anything, as long as it isn't comedy, though some dramas can contain a bit of levity to lighten the heavy mood. But not so much that it then becomes a dramedy, which is now a word, or so I'm told. Drama with hints of humour are realistic, because that's how the world works. The same with comedies with a bit of drama. 

Though I can enjoy a good drama, I don't gravitate so heavily toward the genre that I consider buying very many such movies for my personal video collection. The handful that I own say a lot about me, I guess, since there are so few of them. They are carefully chosen, based on how much I enjoy them, and how well they hold up under multiple viewings.

As I scan my shelves of physical media films, I realize that what could easily be called dramas might actually fall within other genres, like crime or sci-fi or war. So here I did my best to sort out those that don't really fit neatly anywhere else.



Enjoy, if you must:

The Before Trilogy, by director Richard Linklater... Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight... among my favourite movies... a relationship studied over the span of nearly 20 years
Casablanca... this classic could be called a spy-type film, but maybe it fits best in drama
Daydream Believers - The Monkees Story... made-for-TV biopic (sorry) that's fun yet dramatic
The Delinquents... the very first movie that young pop star Kylie Minogue starred in (1989)
The Doors... a biopic, if you want to split hairs, but this is where it belongs. Riveting!
The Double Life of Veronique, by Polish art-film director Krzystof Kieslowski... an all-time fave
Fanny and Alexander, by legendary Swedish film-maker Ingmar Bergman
Flight of the Phoenix... the 1965 original "survival adventure" starring James Stewart
Lawrence of Arabia... sweeping epic film classic that needs no explanation
Lolita, by none other than Stanley Kubrick... influential and controversial for its time
Lost in Translation, by Sophia Coppola... I think this qualifies since it's very light on the humour - just moments or little scenes, while maintaining a low-key, down-beat tone (my all-time #1)
Macbeth, directed by Roman Polanski... moody telling of the Shakepearean tragedy
Master and Commander... could be called a war film, but its character study set during the Napoleonic wars makes it more straight-up drama for me
Running... starring a young Michael Douglas, this is a "sports drama" that would sit alone in that category, so I designate it simply a drama
The Seventh Seal, by Ingmar Bergman... "You sunk my battleship!"
Three Colors Trilogy, by master of the art-house film, Kieslowski... Three Colors Blue, Three Colors White, Three Colors Red... love 'em all
The Virgin Spring, again by the esteemed master, Bergman 
Wild Strawberries, another masterpiece by Bergman
The Wrestler, a cool character study by modern film-maker Darren Aronofsky

No comments:

Post a Comment