Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Show Must Go On... TV and Streaming

I hate to say it, but my movie viewing has dropped substantially over the past couple of months. I've been up against a barrage of shows, mostly streaming online, that have commanded my attention. Some are good, some are great, and some are only so-so. Yet I still plow through them, episode after episode, sometimes motoring through one complete series only to move on to another... and sometimes juggling two or three shows at one time.


Mrs Maisel is saucy and funny in this period piece comedy

I have often complained that there's so little to watch, even with my selection of programming on Netflix, Amazon, and my Roku. Yet lately there has been a healthy number of shows to keep me busy. Most are worthwhile, but now and then, after a few episodes of a less than satisfying show, I'll stop watching and delete it from my Watch List. Yes, I do have at least some discipline with my viewing habits.

What stands head and shoulders above all else is The Mandalorian. Yep, just like everyone else, I was hooked, line and sinker... I loved it from episode one onward. For my money, it's the best Star Wars story I've seen since the original Skywalker trilogy. Between the ultra-cool Mandalorian bounty hunter character and the wee cute baby Yoda, the show is a winner.

On Amazon Prime, I located a show that ruled the TV airwaves during the 2000s, Lost. I never went near Lost back then, in the belief that it was a reality show of some kind. But once I gave it a chance recently, I discovered I was completely wrong. I'm in the early seasons of Lost at the moment, and find it quite entertaining and intriguing, if a bit repetitive and drawn-out. And it sort of made sense when I noticed that this was created by none other than J.J. Abrams, who has since directed  blockbuster movies in the Star Wars franchise (not to mention his Star Trek and Cloverfield films).

I was pleased to see continuing high quality production on the new season (or series, as they say in the UK) of The Crown. This historical drama is far more compelling than I ever expected, and even with the older, new cast this time around, it's still great entertainment... and I even learn a little something along the way.

In the more fanciful department, there's the new season of sci-fi adventure reboot Lost in Space. I saw a bit of the old 60's TV show, and while this revamped version is very loosely based on the original, it takes it in directions I never dreamed of. Imaginative and fun, it's a nice time-killer that doesn't make you feel too stupid.

On the other side of the coin, the new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel continues with the sharp and witty writing that made Season One so utterly... um, marvelous. The talented and funny cast make this a stand-out series that totally deserves the accolades it's getting. Can't wait for more!

The latest season of highly-regarded UK crime drama Line of Duty maintains its consistently gripping storytelling, with its solid cast delivering the goods as they fight corruption within the police force.

Watchmen, the HBO show that's all the talk of the town, is a strange yet very cool show that I've taken a liking to. I have no real background with the original comic series, and only a tiny recollection of the 2009 movie The Watchmen, but still... this newly-minted continuation of the old story is fascinating. And weird. Watchmen's cast includes some big names and the show boasts impressive production values. Whether you like "superhero" stuff or not, this might appeal to you. It's that different.

While season one of Netflix series You was a surprisingly good mystery-thriller, the latest round is rather clunky. I find this season quite unwatchable, with unlikable characters, contrived story, and a general feeling that this thing should have just stopped after its first season. It's a shame when something so enjoyable goes sour. Partway through season two, I gave it the axe. No thanks.

The BBC-Netflix take on the classic Dracula tale is - to put it mildly - an abomination. I took a look simply out of curiosity, being a fan of most things horrific in the entertainment world. The casting seemed okay, but the sometimes scenery-chewing acting, godawful dialogue, and the clumsily dismantled original story - re-assembled as a near-complete mess, is more horrific than the vampire subject matter. This rivals the off-the-rails treatment in the movie Van Helsing, which made me feel ill, it was such a trashy distortion of my beloved classic movie monsters. Again, I dropped this before too long. 

Those are the highlights... and low points... of my viewing schedule over the last while. I think there were some other shows in there, but I won't even try to rack my brains to recall them all. Anyway, maybe from my recommendations and warnings, you'll find something that suits your own tastes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment