Saturday, October 12, 2019

October "New" Used Additions to the Record Shelf

With the second biannual local record show just a week away, you'd think I'd lay low and hang onto my pennies for that event. But no, the monthly flea market landed on this Saturday, and I gave myself a small budget for anything special that might pop up.

And pop up those special somethings did. First up, I was floored to see a really nice, clean copy of Frantic City, by Teenage Head. I didn't even debate the price, which was considerably more than I am normally willing to pay for a used record, but this is a bit of a rarity, so I was happy to make an exception.


White dopes on punk... Teenage Head back in their glory days

Frantic City, first released way back in 1980, is a terrific album, a successful and fun blend of punk, pop, and sort of old-style rock'n'roll. A few of the tunes, like Wild One, feature a rippin' piano that feels like Little Richard joined the band in the studio. That delicious thick guitar tone plastered every song with a touch of heavy rock... I'd dare say it's more metal than punk at times, with all the searing guitar solos (not prominent in punk, normally). Anyway, Teenage Head deliver a great set on this sophomore recording, every song super cool, my faves being Let's Shake, Infected, and Disgusteen. I've got a load of nostalgia for these songs and for Head in general, since I saw them play my high school when I was a tender teen. You can read about that experience here

Then on to another vendor... where I at first amassed a pile of records, since there were bins marked "2 for $5". If I were less prudent, I would have taken a lot more than I did, but in the end, I carefully selected the best of the bunch. I wanted albums I knew I'd listen to a lot, not stuff that would simply take up space on my shelves. 

I found for a friend a copy of the A Fistful of Dollars movie soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. I knew he was a fan of those spaghetti westerns and their music, so when I spotted this LP in the 2 For $5 bins, it was a no-brainer. Kind soul that I am, I even stopped by his workplace on my way home to present him with the record. He was suitably surprised and impressed. My good deed for the day.

At that same table, I took the Foreigner album from 1979, Head Games. Some good tracks on there, like radio hits Dirty White Boy and the title track. The rest... well, not as strong but with a few more listens, I might take a shine to some more. Still, can't beat the price.

I also lucked out with The Doors' self-titled debut album from 1967. I mean, how could I not get it at just ten bucks? It's an early 80's re-issue, but no matter - it sounds very nice. I have all the Doors albums on CD, but want a small representation of this classic 60's band in my vinyl collection... along with the "13" compilation (the only "best of" released during the Doors' career).

Oh, and the vendor told me to select a free Christmas album to go along with my purchase. What a nice bonus. So I grabbed a Liona Boyd classical guitar recording of festive songs. I had this on cassette tape years ago, but haven't heard it in ages, so this is a perfect addition to my little bunch of Christmas-themed albums - this being the only one on vinyl. Unless you count the Bob & Doug McKenzie "Great White North" comedy and music record I've got. More on that here.

So, a very fun and productive outing. Now I'll have to eat spaghetti-only for a while so I can afford to hit the upcoming record show. Well, maybe not quite that drastic, but you get the idea.

Happy spinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment