Saturday, August 31, 2019

My Favourite Songs - Part I

I've been thinking about writing a post on My Favourite Songs for quite a while now, but it's a daunting task. I mean, it's far easier to list fave albums... it's not so difficult to rhyme off some of the most important ones in your life, you know? At least when you've consumed music mostly in album format your whole life, like I did. Kids today probably wouldn't have a clue about albums; the ones I've talked to only know songs, and as for their source, well, forget it. They've grown up on Spotify, Google Play, and other services where the individual song is the rule. Yeah, load up the playlist.


Kick up yer heels with some vintage ZZ Top

So... to boil down all the music I've listened to in my life to a handful of favourite tunes... okay, I can do this.

The best way for me to hone in on fave songs is to consider the nostalgic, influential, and inspirational aspects of the music. For example, if I think back to my earliest memories of music listening, I recall The Monkees and The Partridge Family on TV. Then when I started buying records a little later, The Beatles figured into the picture. Then Kiss, and so on. There are fond memories but there are also traces of influence on where I went from those beginnings. The Monkees led me to more pop music. The Beatles were my introduction to rock... in the 70's, at least, since that was when I was at the right age to appreciate it. And Kiss opened the door to heavier music that would come a bit later.

Instead of just listing all my song choices, I thought I'd select a few tunes for this first post and talk a bit about each one. Then next time around, I'll cover a few more songs. And so on. This way, you get my thoughts on how each track affected (and still affects) me, and why I like it so much, and maybe a bit more.

So in no particular order, here are some of my favourite songs:

Jane, by Jefferson Starship - I bought the album Freedom at Point Zero back in 1979, having never heard the whole thing before. This was just the way it was done back then, before the internet and its ability to give free advance access to music. I might have heard Jane on the radio beforehand, but my memory fails me on that now. But I really dug that album, especially the lead single Jane, with its heavy metal guitar, powerful vocals, fun melodic hooks (that bridge section!), and memorable lyrics. And that guitar solo... wow! It's among my fave solos of all time. Even today, if I hear this tune somewhere, I experience a flashback to my basement bedroom in my parents' house with the headphones strapped on, rockin' out... maybe even air-guitaring. 

The Boys of Summer, by Don Henley - I heard this in constant rotation on the radio and saw its video repeatedly on MuchMusic (Canada's answer to MTV). I didn't immediately buy the single or its album, Building the Perfect Beast (1984), but I did dub a copy from a tape at the college library. And I played the hell out of it. Great summery music, my faves being Boys of Summer and Sunset Grill. But this one somehow resonated very strongly with me. I'd known Henley's distinctive voice on Eagles tunes previously, and this brand new, more pop-oriented direction worked even better for me. The interplay of the tight, intricate percussive rhythm, lush dreamy guitars and synths evoked a California beach vibe. I get a warm feeling when I hear Boys of Summer. I can almost feel the ocean breeze and the Cali sun on my face and hear the surf.


70's Elton mania

Philadephia Freedom, by Elton John - in my early years of music collecting (mid-to-late 70's), I bought a nifty K-Tel 8-track tape called Music Express. I played it endlessly, groovin' to the selection of the latest and greatest tracks by various artists. One song that stood above the rest was Philadephia Freedom, and I believe that was my first exposure to Elton. The combination of funky rock band with an orchestral string section gave this an almost, but not quite, disco feel. Funny how that gritty heavy-ish guitar fit perfectly with the lush production. Elton's piano played a minor role here, the drums and strings really driving the tune. Cool lyrics captivated me (though I didn't understand all of them at the time), and the song's strong dance rhythm contrasted nicely with the rock instrumentation. Lots going on here, including backup vocals that add colour in just the right places. Again, major nostalgia washes over me when I hear this and I can't help but smile.

La Grange, by ZZ Top - I heard this only on rock radio for many years, until I finally grabbed a solid ZZ compilation album with La Grange on it. As much as I have always liked Cheap Sunglasses and Tush, it's this almost entirely instrumental jam that has been a timeless favourite for me. That up-tempo boogie blues rhythm is impossible to ignore... a sort of fast shuffle that provides an energetic driver for the track. And over top of that is the incredible Billy Gibbons guitar work, which becomes a three-minute solo, bluesy licks and bends galore. The whole rockin' vibe here is irresistible, fun good-time music with a southern flavour. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment