Sunday, April 7, 2019

Collecting Old Music and Movies

I don't have much time to write this week's post, so I'll make this a short one.

Something I can talk about that won't eat up a lot of time is my little haul of "new" gently used old music and movies. After months of staring at a pile of old DVDs and Blu-rays I wanted to get rid of, I finally got off my butt and took them down to one of the better buy-sell-trade media shops. I got more for my items on a trade than if I sold, and I found some cool stuff I wanted in return, so... a deal was made.


Steve Howe of Yes... oh, and happy birthday, mate! April 8th is the date...

I found a couple of used records in very nice condition: 

Elton John's Greatest Hits Vol. II, which I owned as a teen back in the day, and kinda missed on vinyl. After all, the record has a different track listing than on the CD version I have. I like having Tiny Dancer on the CD, but it's extra cool to have one of my guilty pleasures, Don't Go Breaking My Heart, on the LP. And all that sugary pop sounds so clean, full, and warm on vinyl.

I also found a pristine-sounding copy of Fragile by prog-rock granddaddies, Yes. I've long been a fan (with all the important CDs, meaning all 60's, 70's and 80's albums), and have been carefully selecting a few Yes records for my new-ish collection. As I said, amazing sound, especially notable on the acoustic guitar solo Mood For a Day, and on quieter passages elsewhere. I'm so glad to finally find this, and at a very reasonable price (under ten bucks). 

Also in the music department, but not from this particular shopping trip, I got Too Fast For Love, Motley Crue's first album on CD. Inspired by the new movie The Dirt, the story of Crue's rise and fall, I thought I'd like to get an actual studio album by the band instead of always reaching for my old stand-by greatest hits disc. Hits collections touch on the singles but miss great "deeper" tracks, or even just popular tunes that were huge on the radio (back in the day, and maybe still today) but weren't necessarily released as promo singles. I'm happy to now have fave Crue songs Live Wire and Piece of Your Action, among others, close at hand. 

Back to this weekend's mini-haul: unable to find more in the music section, I browsed the movies and immediately located two that were due to join my Blu-ray library... the Matrix sequels... Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions. I watched Reloaded today and was suitably impressed. I'd only seen it once before, years ago, so this felt almost like a first-time watch. I'll get to Revolutions before too long. Great, fun action-packed sci-fi flicks... totally popcorn, not at all serious film. Just what the doctor ordered. 

S'all for now... will do something a bit meatier next time. Cheers, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment