Saturday, January 26, 2019

Best Motion Pictures of 2018... So Far

The 2019 Academy Awards are only a month away, and we've been informed of Oscar nominations, for better or for worse. For me - as far as the stuff I've seen goes - 2018 was not a great year for movies. I mean, on my own list of favourites, I've got a friggin' Star Wars movie and a comic book movie. That says it all. Not about my taste in movies, but about the depth of the field. Mind you, I still haven't seen some of the most notable films of the past year.

The actual Oscar nominees for best picture are: Vice, BlacKkKlansman, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Roma, Black Panther, and A Star is Born. 

Yes, Black Panther. A comic book movie. Sure, it's better than most (I saw it and quite liked it), but still. I've only seen two of these eight nominated pictures, so I'd better get cracking. Or not.


Sunny Suljic deserves a nod for his work in mid90's

So whenever I get around to seeing the flicks I've missed, maybe I'll bump something off my somewhat trashy list in favour of something more Oscar-worthy. Not that I care a whole lot about this political game that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences plays every year. It's just sort of fun to do my own Top Movies list, and maybe compare that to the real nominees and winners. Not that I'll even watch the Oscars... I never do, but I'll check the results the day after, and moan about the state of the film industry.

Here are what I feel are the best of 2018, based on what I've seen, not in any particular order:

Heavy Trip - quite possibly my favourite of the year, the comedic story of a Finnish metal band as they struggle to make a career happen. Corpse paint, meat grinder guitars, projectile vomiting. A jolly good time!

Christopher Robin - a heart-tugging nostalgic trip starring the impeccably animated creatures of the Hundred Acre Wood, and a nice turn by Ewen McGregor. It's up for Best Visual Effects... that's all?

Eighth Grade - follows a girl through her final week of eighth grade, as she struggles with social anxiety. Intelligent, funny, dramatic... so why no love in the run for the Oscars?

mid90s - so steeped in realism that it feels like a documentary, this com-dram coming-of-age story is about a 13-year-old who joins a group of older, more street-wise skateboarding kids in 90's L.A. Smartly shot and naturally acted, this deserves attention at the Oscars.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - an omnibus of sometimes light, sometimes darkly funny tales of the Old West. Only a little uneven, this is highly entertaining... hey, it's the Coen brothers.

Annihilation - a dark scif-fi story with an all-star cast, great production all around, and addresses very real human themes rather than dazzling you with tons of distracting special effects

Roma - a beautiful production from top to bottom, start to finish. Superior acting, direction and camera-work bring to life the compelling story of a girl housekeeper in Mexico City during the 1970's. By all rights, this should win Best Picture. I won't hold my breath. 

These are "honorable" mentions, or simply cool movies that I liked but don't really feel belong in the same league as something like Roma. 

Black Panther
Hold the Dark
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Solo: A Star Wars Story
The Beyond
Winchester

No comments:

Post a Comment