Friday, January 5, 2018

New Additions to the Record Shelf

I've been semi-busy searching out and picking up some new music for the collection. All oldies, and they're all goodies. 

Not long ago, I bought two Gordon Lightfoot albums, one on vinyl and one on CD. The record was 1976's Summertime Dream, and it's a winner... and funny how the legendary Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald doesn't impress me nearly as much as the rest of the tracks. I can't explain that, but whatever. Then there was the Complete Greatest Hits, a later release only available on CD, chock full of Lightfoot's best songs (at least as far as I can tell). I actually did some research on Gord's compilations, and this one seemed to be the best, covering his most productive and successful years. Some favourites are If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway, Daylight Katy, and... Cotton Jenny, which I still remember from "music class" back in primary school, when teacher would guide us through some sort of songbook of modern-ish vocal tunes. I never sang, just mouthing the words and hoping for a meteor strike. But that was a memorable song, and I now realize that I love it.



Another vinyl acquisition was a gently used copy of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, performed by the Swiss Romande Orchestra and conducted by Ernest Ansermet. But what strange packaging! The cover photo (above) looks like it was taken at a late 60's European football match or a concert... the shot shows us a crowd of young hippy-ish men. Liner notes are nearly non-existent, and what little is there is very cryptic. This London Records recording was released in 1967... I wonder who bought this unusual-looking album for long-hairs (the classical kind) back then. Anyway, a terrific performance of the world-famous symphony. 

I was the happy recipient of two terrific LP records at Christmas. The first was Black Sabbath's very first album (1970), a brand new, sealed, remastered reissue - legendary, and glorious. I'd never listened so closely to this album before. For my first run-through, I plugged in my Sennheiser headphones, sat back with the liner notes in hand, and bathed in the most important album in heavy metal history. The exquisite sound engineering on the disc breathed new life into this set of metal classics. 

The second vinyl record was a brand new, sealed copy (dated 1980?! If not a reissue, then how did this remain un-bought and unopened until today?) of Motörhead's Ace of Spades, which rocked my speakers and headphones on the first few listens. How can you play Motörhead quietly? Not the high fidelity experience of the Sabbath LP, but then again, Motörhead was never a studio perfection sort of band. There's more of a gritty, sort of live feel to it. Simply a solid no-frills grunge-punk-metal album from front to back. Love Me Like a Reptile and the title track are faves. Crank it up.



I'm waiting for some records on order... and the first is Metal Heart by Accept. I found it used on Discogs for a decent price; my only regret is that I missed out on an even better condition copy by just a hair... during the order process, I paused for a few moments, then the record was bought by someone else - snatched from right under my nose. The nerve! Anyway, the record I settled for should be just fine, and I can't really complain since this 1985 album is tough to find on vinyl for a reasonable price. I'm looking forward to this metal gem, since I've never owned it before on any format, and I know I like every track thanks to a Youtube preview. Should be a treat!

Also on order are a few K-Tel vinyl records from the 70's. You must be rolling your eyes as you read this. Unless you are about my age and have the same fond memories of growing up to the softer sounds of Elton John, Captain and Tennille, The Stampeders, and The Ozark Mountain Daredevils. My main purchase is the 1975 compilation called Music Express, which I bought on 8-track tape as a kid (maybe 12 years old) back in the day. I loved that thing to death, playing it endlessly, softly rocking out to Philadelphia Freedom, Jackie Blue, Love Will Keep Us Together, Wildfire, and The Rockford Files TV show theme song (one of my faves!).

As I placed my order for the Music Express LP, I noticed a sale going on and grabbed two more K-Tel collections for only a buck apiece! Similar 70's pop and rock music, featuring the likes of England Dan, Earth Wind & Fire, Moxy, Ohio Players, Dr. Hook, Little River Band, and Gerry Rafferty. Man, the nostalgic trip I'm gonna take when I spin these discs... all vintage LPs, by the way... all in really nice condition. The best kind of time travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment