Friday, November 24, 2017

In Memoriam - Malcolm and David

What a week... the loss of two major artists has left the music world reeling. First, Malcolm Young of AC/DC succumbed to dementia. Young's contribution to hard rock is recognized by every musician and fan of heavy music. He was among the best rhythm guitarists in the game, laying down a foundation of perfection for brother Angus to solo over in the raucous music by the Aussie band. Over forty years of rockin'. 

I've long felt that the Highway to Hell album best showcases the grooviest rhythms and tightest guitar-work... that practically funky hard rock/metal rhythm guitar always made that album stand out among AC/DC's huge catalogue. The boys went far heavier on the follow-up Back in Black and thereafter, yet Highway remains my favourite with its urgent, nasty, and driving rock'n'roll delivery. Girls Got Rhythm is the best of the set, in my opinion. But great overall album, no doubt about it. And slightly later songs like You Shook Me All Night Long and Let's Get It Up sure demonstrate Malcolm's ability on the axe.



At the other end of the musical spectrum: David Cassidy of pop/rock fame also passed away this week. As a youngster, I first saw Cassidy on TV's The Partridge Family. It was this show that first got me thinking about learning to play an instrument... this was years before I saw the Beatles movies on TV, and seeing the Partridge kids playing drums and guitar got me to thinking "I could do that!" It wasn't until decades later that I returned to that Partridge music, though, but at least by then I could properly appreciate the craftsmanship in the Cassidy/Partridge Family songs. 

Cassidy was an actor, singer, songwriter, and overall musician... and a 70's teen idol (not something he was terribly comfortable with). He first reached the masses, of course, during those Partridge Family years, from 1970-1974, but the show's syndication and Cassidy's successful music career (his solo recordings outside of the Partridge Family) boosted and extended his popularity. He performed (and wrote) a ton of hit songs, and I'm actually hard pressed to name a favourite, but some I like a lot are Rainmaker, Ain't No Sunshine (a cover), I Woke Up in Love This Morning, and I Can Feel Your Heartbeat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment