Friday, July 7, 2017

Great Canadian Cinema

It's been a longstanding joke: oh, it's a Canadian movie... snore! So sad. I guess there was some truth in that at one time, but looking back over the past forty or fifty years, I'd say there are many examples of classic cinema. Yes, there will be Canadian subject matter in many of them, but even if not, there may simply be a particular sense of humour or visual style. In some cases,the picture is an American production, but directed by a Canadian. I figure if there is that strong a Canadian connection, it qualifies.



This is not a "Top 25" list. My knowledge of Canuck movies is not so extensive that I could compile such a thing. But I have seen my share of home-grown flicks and can at least present a set of titles that might get you thinking... and maybe consider tracking some down. I believe some of these are available on Youtube, and if not, perhaps Netflix or iTunes would be good spots to check. 

I skimmed a few "all time greatest" lists on the web just to jog my memory of what I'd seen in the way of Can-content. Here are what are considered among the best, or at least notable, Canadian films. I've seen nearly all of them, and the few that I haven't, I am interested in watching someday. Some of my favourites are the Atom Egoyan movies (very moody and artistic), the Cronenbergs (we all know his dark and disturbing style), director Vallée's C.R.A.Z.Y., Beyond the Black Rainbow (mind-bending without a Hollywood filter), Bon Cop, Bad Cop (a big hit - and very funny), A Christmas Story (now considered a seasonal classic, with loads of nostalgic humour), Les Triplettes de Belleville (a clever and funny animated tale), and Thirty-two Short Films About Glenn Gould (an impressive revealing documentary about the oddball yet genius classical pianist). 

You don't have to be an artsy-fartsy type to appreciate most of these movies. Many are very down to earth and relatable, even mainstream, or close to it. I encourage newbies to Canadian film history to try a few of these to begin with... maybe the goofy comedy Strange Brew (starring Canadian TV's two most famous comic characters, beer-drinking Bob and Doug McKenzie). If that works for you, then try some creepy sci-fi with Cube or crime-comedy with Bon Cop, Bad Cop. David Cronenberg's The Dead Zone feels about as American as you can get; it is a dark thriller based on a Stephen King novel... it's my fave by this legendary director. 

I have included on my list the name of the film and its movie director. This really helps when you find a real gem and want to track down more work by that creative mind. 

When you are feeling more adventurous and want to tackle something more esoteric, try The Red Violin, and Egoyan's films. I was impressed with these back in the 90's, and I plan to revisit them soon. Enjoy!

... in no particular order....

Turbo Kid - Anouk Whissell, Francois Simard, Yoann-Karl Whissell
The Sweet Hereafter, Exotica - Atom Egoyan
The Dead Zone, Videodrome, Naked Lunch, The Fly, & many more - David Cronenberg
PIN (a satisfying weird and creepy horror) - Sandor Stern
The Changeling (among the best ghost stories ever)- Peter Medak
Tucker & Dale vs Evil (a silly and funny horror romp)- Eli Craig
Goin' Down the Road (essential Canadiana) - Don Shebib
C.R.A.Z.Y., Café de Flore, Dallas Buyers Club - Jean-Marc Vallée
Mon oncle Antoine - Claude Jutra
Jesus of Montreal, The Barbarian Invasions - Denis Arcand
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz - Ted Kotcheff
Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner - Zacharius Kunuk
Strange Brew - Rick Moranis, Dave Thomas
My American Cousin - Sandy Wilson
I've Heard the Mermaids Singing - Patricia Rozema
Highway 61, Hard Core Logo - Bruce McDonald
Beyond the Black Rainbow (trippy science fiction)- Panos Cosmatos
Bon Cop, Bad Cop - Eric Canuel
A Christmas Story, and horror slasher classic Black Christmas - Bob Clark (Canadian dir.)
Cube (a surprisingly good sci-fi/horror thriller) - Vincenzo Natali
Les Triplettes de Belleville, The Illusionist - Sylvain Chomet
Thirty-two Short Films About Glenn Gould, The Red Violin - Francois Girard
My Winnipeg - Guy Maddin
Quest for Fire - Jean-Jacques Annaud

No comments:

Post a Comment