Saturday, June 18, 2016

Summertime's Here: Van Halen and Fellow Partiers

When the days turn hot and sunny, like right now, I can't help but crank up the good-time music like Van Halen and Kim Mitchell, the stuff of my youth. During my mid-to-late teens especially, I remember steamy beautiful summer nights when my friends and I would blast heavy music like Def Leppard (Photograph, Foolin', and Rock of Ages come to mind), ZZ Top (Cheap Sunglasses, La Grange, and Party On the Patio, obviously) and AC/DC (Let's Get It Up and I Put the Finger on You) as we sipped our beverages and mocked the crappy videos we rented on Friday nights. Fridays were usually the "quiet" nights, then on Saturdays we'd conspire to crash a party or two. 

The key, though, was the music. As we all know, music is a mystical and magical link to our old memories. Like I remember that early-start party I hit as a teen, 12-pack in hand, at the house of a high school "acquaintance". Not really close friends with any of that gang, but they accepted me with surprised smiles. I stashed my drinks behind a couch and hung out, listening to Men at Work and Dire Straits for a little while. Not exactly my scene. I think I cut out early and headed to another friend's place for some jamming on guitar. Something like that. This was the early 80's, so my memory isn't razor sharp on those events. 

Since I used to live just a few minutes walk away from my high school, I'd go home for a sandwich and some Max Webster - their A Million Vacations album - on the 8-track on my lunch breaks. Tunes like Paradise Skies, Research (at Beach Resorts), and the title track were must-listens to help get me through the coming grind of afternoon math and science classes. 




There was that Century Club night at a buddy's place.... I won't go into gory detail about that, but it was messy. There were issues now and then with keeping down the booze, as you can imagine. I don't think anybody there reached the 100 mark. But I it was a balmy summer evening of good rockin' tunes on the stereo, Van Halen and Rush among them. 

There were some strange house parties here and there. Like that one where I ran into fellow high schoolers who I sort of knew, but had never befriended. Over several beers and some Iron Maiden music that night, we bonded a bit, I guess. 

And there was that time when a few of us rolled a car on the way to a gathering, talked our way out of the situation with the cops, then grabbed a ride with someone else - and hit the party anyway. I even had a few scratches to impress the girls with.

Oh, and that crazy bush party where a band was going to play for us, but that entertainment cancelled on us at the last minute. Luckily, one of my pals had a good stereo in his car, so he pumped up the volume and gave new life to the bash. I have no other memories of that night. Seriously.

The early 80's saw the disbanding of Canadian rock band Max Webster, but lead singer and guitarist Kim Mitchell set off on a solo career that brought him to my hometown more than a few times. There was a weird and raucous night when bunch of friends and I ventured out to see Mitchell at a ramshackle bar at the edge of town. Man, what a blast. 

Kim Mitchell's first solo effort, an EP, included Big Best Summer and Kids In Action, a couple of excellent seasonal favourites. His next album boasted huge radio hits Lager and Ale and Go For Soda. A little later, equally cool songs like Patio Lanterns, Rock and Roll Duty, and I Am a Wild Party brought us even more warm weather musical accompaniment. That fun and wacky guy really knew how to get a party going and keep it going. I've seen him many times live in concert, but just having a Kim Mitchell record, tape or CD playing in the background at a house party made all the difference in the world. 



Hamilton, Canada punk rockers Teenage Head were a rowdy blast, too. I saw them at my high school at a tender teen age, and have retained a love of some of their early hits. One of my buddies back then was a fan, so our little gang enjoyed his Head tape in the car stereo on many beer runs. 

Since my tastes ran more to heavier rock, I was drawn toward American hard-hitters Van Halen more than others in my peer group. They'd listen, but weren't as enamoured with guitar ace Eddie VH as I was. With David Lee Roth (the only Van Halen singer who ever mattered) at the mic, those first six albums were essential for rock'n'roll listening year round. Somehow, the band effortlessly penned a pile of terrific summer-oriented songs, including Beautiful Girls, Dance the Night Away, Bottoms Up, Jump, Panama, and their covers of Ice Cream Man and Dancing In the Street. All great, fun toons to bring friends together and quench their thirst.

I still have a soft spot for David Lee Roth's early solo work, too, like his bright and happy version of California Girls. How can anyone not love this? Whenever I hear it I am transported back to the summer of '85... hanging with my buds on a patio, sipping brews and chowing down on fish'n'chips. Hot Dog and a Shake, another Diamond Dave fave of mine, appeared a few albums later. I picture a boardwalk, a snack stand, and surfers hitting the waves under azure skies.

In a lighter vein, there was Echo Beach (1980) by Martha and the Muffins, which I quite liked. Along the same lines, there was Walking on Sunshine (1983) by Katrina and the Waves, a track that still brings a smile to my face. Naturally, some Beach Boys is expected in any summertime playlist. Just about anything by that band.... Good Vibrations is one of my personal faves. The Boys of Summer by Don Henley is among my favourite songs of all time, period, but it also serves as one of the best to accompany a party, beach or BBQ outing. 

I always felt that the music of the GoGo's was perfect for sandals and shorts weather. We Got the Beat and Our Lips Are Sealed are a couple I particularly like. Oh, and Tom Petty's entire Full Moon Fever album exudes the steamy, palm tree-lined roads and beaches of California. Free Fallin' and Runnin' Down a Dream especially evoke that lazy and exotic locale. 

These are just a few of my favourite summertime songs, and to this day, I love revisiting such oldies when the sun is shining and the mercury is rising. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment