Sunday, July 26, 2015

Classic Rock Songs That I Can Listen To Again and Again

I write today to counter musicologist Alan Cross' recent blog post (here) listing the classic rock songs that he feels nobody needs to hear again. I agree almost entirely. Sitting at number four on Cross' list, BTO's Takin' Care of Business, no matter how old and overplayed, still makes this Canadian sing along and air guitar. It's the patriot in me, I guess. Plus BTO's Greatest Hits (So Far) was among the first records I ever bought as a boy. And no Eagles on your list, Alan? C'mon!

Not to argue with Cross' list and comments, I aim instead to work the other end of the spectrum: classic rock songs that I can listen to again and again. Certain variables are present in the equation that explains how this phenomenon exists. Nostalgia. Objective determination of outstanding songwriting... and singing and playing. Enduring sound, style, and meaning - which make the song timeless, still amazing decades after its release. And universal or near-universal in its appeal. 



Nostalgia seems to trump all other variables at times. A sort of crappy, silly, dated song can still make us wistful. Like Kung Fu Fighting, for me. I know it's a novelty song, and those things generally don't hold up, but it is the song's very absurdity that makes it feel fresh to me every time I hear it. It's a spoof or even a homage, replete with kung fu shouts and grunts by the backup vocalists. The seemingly deadpan performance heightens its hilarity. The fact that this is full-on 70's disco makes it even wackier and fun - and better. But I'd like to think that nostalgia alone wouldn't make an old song seem so good. And Kung Fu Fighting is not going on my list.

If I can objectively say that a song is excellent in (nearly) every respect, then I can place that song in my high listenability category. Time, by Pink Floyd, off that famous 1973 album (you know the one), is one such song. In fact, that whole album still blows me away. On Time: okay, that raspy, stinging guitar solo - one of David Gilmour's best. The thoughtful, moody, poetic song lyrics. The highest audio recording standards aside, consider the technical and creative proficiency of the instrumentalists and singers. The fusion of a rock core, soulful vocals, and a funky guitar rhythm and sound. All neatly packaged up in a progressive masterpiece that really does transcend time and generations of listeners.

These songs are by no means my only choices, nor are they carved in stone, nor are they in any particular order, but they are right now still highly "listenable", regardless of their heavy rotation on rock radio stations and TV advertisements. These aren't even "deep" cuts, either; these are well-known to the masses. Even when I'm shopping for kiwis and burger buns, if one of these songs plays over the in-store sound system, I find myself bobbing my head - just a little, mind you - and singing along - very quietly or maybe just mouthing the words silently. Hey, I've got to maintain some respectability. Here you go:


Classic Rock Songs That I Can Listen To Again and Again


1. Boys of Summer, by Don Henley
2. Rock You Like a Hurrican, by Scorpions
3. La Grange, by ZZ Top
4. Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen
5. Jump, by Van Halen
6. Limelight, by Rush
7. Time, by Pink Floyd
8. Roller, by April Wine
9. Can't Buy Me Love, by Beatles
10. Go Your Own Way, by Fleetwood Mac
11. One of These Nights, by the Eagles
12. Heaven and Hell, by Black Sabbath
13. White Room, by Cream
14. Black Dog, by Led Zeppelin
15. (Don't Fear) The Reaper, by Blue Oyster Cult
16. The End, by The Doors
17. These Eyes, by The Guess Who
18. Detroit Rock City, by Kiss
19. Last Train to Clarksville, by The Monkees
20. Walking On the Moon, by The Police
21. The Best of Times, by Styx
22. Born to be Wild, Steppenwolf
23. Dreamer, by Supertramp
24. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, by U2
25. My Sharona, by The Knack
26. Philadelphia Freedom, by Elton John
27. Who Are You, by The Who
28. Hot Blooded, Foreigner
29. The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love), by Journey
30. Once In A Lifetime, by The Talking Heads
31. Lay It Down, by Ratt
32. Turn Me Loose, by Loverboy
33. Jane, by Jefferson Starship


No comments:

Post a Comment