Sunday, January 4, 2015

Monster Storage Wars


Scrounging through the recesses of my closets, I uncovered a few old goodies that I'd forgotten about. For one, and I thought this was long gone, there was the Universal Monsters cookie box. The box is empty, since I had the munchies one night and they were the only sweet snacks I had in my place. Not all that tasty, though. It's been a while, but I believe the cookies bore the likenesses of Frankenstein monster, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Wolf Man, Dracula, and Bride of Frankenstein. The box is still in fine condition, so I suppose I'll hang onto it. Back into the cupboard you go, Frankie.


Then there was the slipcase from the VHS tape set of the Creature From the Black Lagoon movies. The tapes are gone, sold off when I upgraded to the Legacy Collection DVD set. But I wanted to hang onto this nifty little box, which shows colourful images from each of the movies. I've no idea what I'll ever do with it, but I can't toss this out just yet. 


Next up is not something I pulled from storage, but has instead been proudly displayed on my wall for close to twenty years, a framed sheet of collectible Classic Movie Monsters (the Universal ones) postage stamps, nicely mounted and framed. A friend of a friend picked up a few of these in the States back in 1996, and my buddy sold me one. Really unique and sharp, with "banner" images of the four top horror actors from the old movies (Lugosi, Chaney Jr, Karloff, and Chaney Sr.), then the twenty stamps showing the best of those actors' creepy characters: Phantom of the Opera, Dracula, Frankenstein creature, The Mummy, and The Wolf Man. One of my prize possessions.


No comments:

Post a Comment