Saturday, October 18, 2014

Bats in the Belfry

A Flock of Seagulls,anyone?

The new film about the real life Prince of Darkness, Dracula Untold, has got me thinking about the history of this character in cinema. Scores of movies depicting the fictional count have littered cinemas ever since the dawn of moving pictures. 

Without going into great detail about every movie ever made, I will at least mention some of the most notable - and my favourite - Dracula films. It was in 1922 that Germany brought us Nosferatu, an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's original novel. This silent classic still stands up nearly a century later. The lighting, set design, and camera-work set up an eerie and unsettling atmosphere that can't be denied, even by today's standards. 

Then in 1931 Hungarian actor Bela Lugosi established himself as the most recognizable Dracula of all time. His take on the king of vampires was suave and sophisticated, but a bit stagey, understandable given his theatrical background prior to the leap to the big screen. That overly dramatic style gave the film a charm all its own, though this could also be considered a drawback when compared with later incarnations of Drac. Lugosi played the role several times for Universal Studios, with other actors (John Carradine, Lon Chaney Jr) occasionally stepping in for him.

Christopher Lee rendered the character in a more menacing and violent manner when he donned the cape for the first of many Hammer Studios Dracula films - in 1958. Lee even played the part without any dialogue (very effectively, I should add) in Dracula, Prince of Darkness. This series was entertaining for the most part, with the odd stumble, especially into the 70's, when Lee reluctantly returned to the role.

Jack Palance did a wonderful job as the undead antagonist in the 1974 adaptation, certainly one of my favourites, if somewhat obscure. Check it out if you can.... this borrows the best of the Hammer elements while retaining much of the original written story. Palance relishes his chance at Drac as he wallows in the hissing, growling, and gore. A moody and creepy film.

Five years later Mr. Frank Langella put his own spin on the fanged character, portraying him as more of a romantic anti-hero. It's been a long time since I've seen this flick, but I recall enjoying it for the most part. Just not enough to add it to my movie library.

Good old Francis Ford Coppola (of Apocalypse Now fame) directed Gary Oldman as the ancient count for the 1992 adaptation. In my opinion, this stands among the best Dracula films ever made. A wicked blend of the traditional cinematic vampire with a highly stylized look and approach really lifts this to a higher level. Though performances are not strong from all parties (Oldman excepted, for he was outstanding), everything else about this weirdly supernatural picture is imaginatively and beautifully realized.

I haven't seen any Dracula movies since Coppola's version, and I don't think I'm missing much. It is so rare that these flicks really work that I simply won't waste time watching what often looks like a bad movie. Unless I hear plenty of critical praise... then I am more likely to take a chance on it. My standards are high.


Now THAT's what I'm talkin' 'bout....

No comments:

Post a Comment