Monday, June 1, 2015

David Isn't Here, Sir

Hey man, just act natural....

Back in the late 70's, as I reached my mid-teens, the comedy duo Cheech and Chong were making waves around the world. Their style wasn't exactly for everyone, for it was very obviously "stoner comedy" and this either offended or even downright frightened the squares. But the boys found themselves a big audience and defined a genre that exists to this day.

Richard Marin, nicknamed Cheech, hooked up with musician Tommy Chong, and they embarked on a voyage of hippie/counter-culture adventures. It all began with their stand-up comedy act, where they fleshed out their characters and now-famous routines. Their best bits included classics like Dave and Let's Make a Dope Deal, and they were quite adept at writing hilarious songs like Earache My Eye and Basketball Jones. 

From their auspicious beginnings in Vancouver, Canada, the pair took their act on the road and released a string of successful albums, the third of which won a Grammy for Best Comedy Album Of the Year (and they were nominated for several others). In 1978, with the release of their first movie Up In Smoke, they truly hit the big time. The flick's low budget wasn't an issue, because it raked in over $100 million, and spawned several more films. The early sequels were good but the quality did decline with each subsequent picture. I think their type of humour is pretty limiting, though Cheech and Chong did produce some material that wasn't drug oriented... like Ralph and Herbie, and Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course. But those were exceptions to the rule. And in the later movies, it felt like the boys' shtick simply couldn't overcome weak script-writing (not necessarily their fault), so that their "antics" became a bit tired.  


Still got my creaky old "Greatest Hit" tape.
But for listening purposes, there's the
internet now, right?

When I was only about thirteen years old, I got my first taste of Cheech and Chong when a friend played something from his older brother's record collection.... it was the "Dave" routine. I gradually heard more of their stuff, and caught their early movies on TV and on video.

I remember seeing my first C&C movie in a movie theatre back in 1981. It was a last minute decision to go, so I hurried on down to the cinema, bought a ticket to Nice Dreams, and plunked myself down in a seat. Underage. Nice Dreams was my first R-rated movie. I think the fact that I was on my own helped my chances of not getting kicked out, plus I was tall for my age. An entertaining film, and sadly, the last one that I liked much. The next C&C picture was Things Are Tough All Over, and while it had its moments, it was the beginning of the end as far as I was concerned. 

After the pair stopped releasing their own duo movies, they began appearing in other people's films, either together or separately. As the 80's waned, C&C parted ways, and Cheech began a solo career in film and TV. His work was funny and fascinating, for we could see that he had more talent than his druggie persona with Chong ever showed us. Chong showed up occasionally on TV shows, but with little more than occasionally recurring roles (like on That 70's Show) - and always playing his stoner self. Funny but not very ambitious to stretch out. His stint in prison probably didn't help his comedy career. But I think he had other plans anyway.

Over twenty years after their split, the guys have still not made any more movies together. There were talks about projects at times, but nothing ever materialized. Cheech and Chong have reunited for some touring and special appearances in recent years, but their act just isn't quite the same anymore. They were a product of their time. What they captured on albums and in movies during their heyday will remain classic comedy, but it can be hard for aging entertainers to recapture that spark decades later. It doesn't always work. 

Things are tough all over....

No comments:

Post a Comment