Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Time Out for Good Behaviour

That ain't Buddy Holly on the keys!


Back in 2010, I had the opportunity to witness a musical legend on stage. Dave Brubeck, 60's king of the West Coast "cool jazz" hybrid, came to town for the Ottawa International Jazz Festival. 

I'd actually been familiar with some of his music for many years; his classic Time Out album was the first jazz I'd ever seriously listened to, and man, it really stuck.That must have been back in the late 80's or thereabouts. Plus I used to tune in to a late evening radio show from one of the north-eastern U.S. states, and it was there that I developed a deeper appreciation for Brubeck and other artists of the genre. Miles, Rollins, Guaraldi, Blakey, and Getz were among my favourites. 

In years since, I added Brubeck's Time Further Out and Love Songs to my little jazz CD collection. Both terrific discs, nearly as good as his seminal 1959 release Time Out. As I understand it, that milestone actually hit #2 on the Billboard pop albums chart back in the day. Colour me impressed.

Brubeck crossed the stage with care that concert evening. He was a fit enough fellow, with a twinkle in his eye, for a gentleman just turned 90 years old. Ninety! The man was inspirational, gently charging out of the gate to address all of his signature tunes, including hits off the Time Out album, such as Blue Rondo a la Turk, Take Five, and Kathy's Waltz. It was clear he'd slowed down a bit over time, as was to be expected with such advanced age, but Brubeck still commanded the stage, playing more economically yet still with a vibrancy that transcended generations. 

And this living legend exuded such humour, charm and professionalism that it was impossible not to enjoy the show. His backup band were tight and proficient, each politely taking their solos to a round of applause. Dave needed a breather now and then anyway. 

Dave was one cool cat that night. A most memorable show.



My ticket to paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment