Thursday, February 20, 2014

White Suits and Dancin' Shoes

They played instruments?

I only knew of the movie Saturday Night Fever in a peripheral sense back in 1977. At the time, I had no interest at all in such a movie.... dancing, ugh! Star Wars and Jaws were more my speed at the time. But I did have a small interest in that new thing called disco music. Sure, I'd been hammering away at the heavier stuff like Kiss, but this BeeGees music seemed a bit more grown-up, sophisticated even. Anyway, I never even saw the movie Saturday Night Fever until another ten or twenty years had passed. I have no recollection at all of my first viewing, since it didn't resonate with me then, and even after I gave it another chance decades later.... same reaction.

But back in '77, when a friend introduced me to the soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, I was immediately hooked, at least on the hit singles. He urged me to buy something by the BeeGees when we were browsing the local record store, so I took a leap and purchased the two most popular 45rpm singles, Stayin' Alive (B-side: If I Can't Have You) and Night Fever (B-side: Down the Road). I played those A-sides constantly and If I Can't Have You also got a lot of attention on the turntable. I wasn't as keen on Down the Road, not that it was bad, just nothing like those slicker dance floor hits from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. 

The BeeGees and K.C. & the Sunshine Band were the extent of my disco "collection" at home. Nothing else really grabbed me at the time, though over the years, I began to appreciate a bit of Donna Summer's music of that mid-to-late 70's era. You can sense the possibilities in her songs, the foreshadowing of modern electronic dance music. Love To Love You Baby was the song that broke her into the big time, followed by a string of successful albums and singles. Not that I paid any attention back then.... but I do have a compilation of Summer's best stuff now. 

Still got the BeeGee's singles, in pretty good shape, too, after all these years. Here's one:


After all these years... worth more than money to me

No comments:

Post a Comment